Interested in changing the world? The Stimson Center is a leading nonpartisan global affairs research center seeking a Communications Specialist to join Stimson’s dynamic, talented team. Working with the Communications Officer and alongside research staff, the Communications Specialist will play a key role in implementing the Center’s strategic communications plan to increase awareness of Stimson’s analysis and policy recommendations among high-priority external audiences in government, media, the NGO community and academia. The ideal candidate will have experience in media relations, outreach and promotion, and managing e-mail distribution campaigns. Candidates should be detail-oriented and able to prioritize multiple deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
· Cultivate working relationships with reporters/editors covering U.S. foreign policy, international relations, nonproliferation, human rights, environmental security, and geopolitics on the Asian continent;
· Plan and conduct press briefings, in person and web-based;
· Pitch stories and exclusives to various media;
· Draft written materials including press releases, promotional material, op-eds, and proposals.;
· Assist with development and execution of media strategies to increase the organizations and programmatic reach and visibility in both traditional, online, and nontraditional media;
· Manage and expand program-specific media and distributions lists;
· Maintain and build partnerships with various media outlets to share and promote content;
· Assist Communications Officer to promote the Center and its programs to relevant audiences such as universities, investment or risk assessment groups, and other relevant audiences;
· Track and produce daily media monitoring reports;
· Manage email distribution campaigns such as newsletters, media advisories, and event promotions; and
· Perform other tasks as needed.
· Bachelor’s degree and 2-4 years of experience in media relations or public relations with a demonstrated interest in U.S. foreign policy, international security, or any of the Center’s programmatic work.
· Experience and/or demonstrated interest in international security and issue-driven communications;
· Media-savvy with a proven track record of establishing and maintaining relationships reporters, editors, and media outlets;
· Strong interpersonal relations and attention to detail;
· Demonstrated ability to work effectively and solve problems independently within a complex, fast-paced environment;
· Experience with CRM, such a Salesforce, and e-mail distribution and management systems such as Pardot;
· Familiarity with Excel, Google Analytics, and communicating data efficiently;
· Experience with HTML and CSS a plus; and
· Language skills in Korean, Mandarin, Japanese, Urdu, or Hindi a plus.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org