The Development and Outreach Department of Human Rights Watch (HRW) is seeking an Assistant in the Palo Alto office. The Palo Alto office serve as an important base for HRW’s development, fundraising, and outreach activities in Silicon Valley. This position focuses on database management for the 2018 Silicon Valley Voices for Justice Annual Dinner and is best suited for individuals interested in learning about our work and making a contribution to HRW in one of our Bay Area offices. This position is part-time (16 hours/week) for three months starting in mid-September and reports to the Development and Outreach Coordinator, based in Palo Alto.
1. Assist in the administrative follow-up of major organizational fundraising, cultivation, and outreach events such as the Silicon Valley Annual Dinner;
2. Organize logistical aspects of events by maintaining key spreadsheets, processing gifts, preparing solicitation and acknowledgement materials, preparing materials including slideshows and books; organizing and shipping event materials, collating follow-up fundraising reports, conducting general follow-up post-event, etc.;
3. Maintain the Raiser’s Edge database by updating donor and financial information and overseeing data entry for special events and cultivation initiatives;
4. Support daily activities for HRW’s Bay Area committees, donors, and prospects including conducting research on individual and foundation prospects using various online tools to prepare donor solicitation strategies, maintaining extensive files, contact lists and databases, scheduling and preparing briefs and materials for meetings, drafting donor communications, and other general administrative duties; and
5. Perform other responsibilities as may be required.
Education: A bachelor’s degree in human rights, international relations, social science, or a related field is strongly desired. Applicants currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree in one of the above fields will be considered.
Experience: A minimum of one year of relevant work experience is desirable.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
1. Strong organizational skills with meticulous attention to detail are required, and prior office/administration experience is highly desirable.
2. Self-motivation and the ability to take initiative, prioritize with minimal supervision, and work independently as well as function as a member of a team are required.
3. Proficiency in computer programs including MS Office applications is required.
4. Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are essential.
5. Strong analytical skills and ability to work well under pressure while juggling multiple tasks simultaneously are necessary.
6. Database experience is strongly preferred and knowledge of Raiser’s Edge is highly desirable.
7. Strong interest in human rights is desirable.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org