What we are looking for
JASS (Just Associates), an international women’s rights organization is looking for a talented and experienced strategist to help communicate who we are and what we do in more accessible and compelling ways. The ideal candidate is energetic, creative, and motivated and interested in applying their skills and creativity to develop and implement cutting-edge communications strategies across a variety of media platforms to expand and engage all of JASS’ audiences. The Communications Coordinator will work closely with program staff in Washington, DC and our regional offices, as well as with our partners and allies around the world. We want to shake things up, turn things over, and challenge our own assumptions. We need an ace to help us amplify the voices and influence of thousands of women leading their communities in the fight to end violence and inequality.
What you need to succeed
- Powerful Storytelling. You should have an intuitive ability to represent complex concepts in a clear, concise, and compelling way. Bonus points for the ability to explain concepts like patriarchy in one sentence that your aunt would understand
- Creative Sensibilities. You have an eye for good design and know how to cut through creative clutter. Further, you have worked with (and led) creative teams across a range of disciplines.
- Diverse Experience. We are a women’s rights organization but we value insights and knowledge from a variety of experiences and backgrounds. If you know our space, great. If you are curious and passionate, we still want to hear from you.
- Inspiring Coordination Style. You have proven the ability to inspire among internal teams and allies to push the boundaries of what they thought was possible.
- Contagious Passion. You should see and be inspired by the world around you and by the women who lead social justice efforts every day. You have a fire in your belly and, in turn, you should be able to stoke the fires of those around you.
- Have a good sense of humor. Enough said.
- Collaborate with JASS cross-regional and regional communications staff to develop a social media strategy that increases the quality and flow of traffic to JASS social media platforms and website
- Oversee and guide the creation visual and compelling content from JASS’ work for Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram including connecting and drawing from US and global news, moments and analysis; ensure consistent and coherent JASS messaging and content across platforms
- Get our hashtag game on point
- Support the development of the new JASS website, and once completed, keep it current by coordinating the writing, editing, and publishing of content
- Expand the visibility and reach of JASS’ knowledge products, tools and analysis including We Rise, our movement-builder’s resource kit, as part of broader promotion plans that you’ll be involved in developing
- Maximize outreach and solidarity at strategic moments through virtual promotion of JASS campaigns (e.g. Women Crossing the Line) and events, and developing urgent action alerts
- Coordinate the development and dissemination of JASS newsletters, promotional collateral, e-bulletins, and other online outreach strategies; research new possibilities for outreach and collaboration with other organizations
- Maintain regular communications with women in the regions where JASS works to monitor and capture what they're doing and the impact of their work
- Cross-promote our work with the efforts and initiatives of our allies and partners
- Compile monthly report and web analytics to inform content improvement
- Develop and oversee a communications calendar, production, and dissemination of external communications including newsletters and updates; Help to develop JASS’ editorial policy for communications pieces
- Mac OS X, Microsoft Office, Adobe CS4 (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Dreamweaver, Acrobat)
- Content Management System such as Drupal or Wordpress (Wordpress preferable)
- Blogging software, Wikis, Picassa, and general ICT tools
- Database or mailing platforms
Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, or relevant field
- 5-8 years of experience working in a similar or related position
- Superior writing and editing skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Experience executing social media strategy for maximum engagement
- Ability to work effectively and accurately under pressure; to manage and prioritize multiple projects and meet deadlines; and to work independently
- Design savvy an asset
- International experience and ability to work cross-culturally; Spanish language ideal but not required
JASS is an equal opportunity employer that values and is enriched by diversity. We strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ, and differently-abled people to apply. If this job description resonates with your background and interests and excites you, we strongly urge you to apply.
To Apply please submit a cover letter, resume, short + captivating writing sample, and creative portfolio (if you have it) to Search Committee via email with subject line, “Communications Coordinator”. No phone calls please.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org