A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. NPR listeners value information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
The Assistant/Associate Producer is responsible for making the day-to-day programming and production decisions about the content presented in NPR One and other emerging audio platforms. Strong understanding of editorial values, writing, and communication skills are essential. We are looking for someone with a keen interest in being involved in an innovative project that blends NPR's editorial and digital product development to create the future of listening.
- Curate the national news content for NPR One and Smart Speakers on a daily basis
- Works with show and desk staff to build customized presentation of stories for digital audio platforms
- Prepare materials for inclusion on NPR One and other new listening platforms
- Assist with curating national and local podcast content
- Efficiently coordinates and collaborates with editorial and production staff
- Works closely with Digital Media Production to ensure that post-production of stories is accurate and appropriate.
- Ensure exclusive material is smoothly integrated into the technical systems.
- Work closely with the Managing Director to make changes to the systems and algorithms that controls the content presented on emerging platforms
- Collaborate with Managing Director and product teams at Digital Media to develop and refine tools and workflows for content delivery
- Develop, edit and produce digital-first content, occasionally
- Participate in experiments and efforts to create new listening experiences on new technology
- Ability and willingness to regularly work a variety of shifts, including Swing and Overnight.
- Works under tight deadlines. Research, writing, spelling/grammar skills are essential.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, with training in journalism and/or research
- At least two years’ experience in daily coverage of national news or general news. Familiarity with specialty topics such as foreign policy, business, sports, science, music, arts, etc.
- Solid, independent news judgment.
- Demonstrated skills in writing and editing.
- Proficiency with audio recording equipment and audio editing software.
- Understanding of, and passion for engaging with audience via social media platforms.
- Experience moderating social media channels
- Strong understanding of journalistic ethics. Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
- Demonstrated ability to edit and produce audio in deadline situations.
- Strong oral communication skills.
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team.
- Ability and willingness to work varied shifts.
- Ability and willingness to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer.
- Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org