The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) is a non-profit, bipartisan public policy organization established in 1962 to provide strategic insights and practical policy solutions to decision makers concerned with global security and prosperity. Over the years, it has grown to be one of the largest organizations of its kind, with a staff of some 200 employees, including more than 120 analysts working to address the changing dynamics of international security across the globe.
The Defense Democratic Institutions (DDI) Project, housed within the CSIS International Security Program, seeks to counter Russia, and potentially other adversaries, in their efforts to disrupt democracy and cultivate a public distrust of democratic institutions. A key focus of this initiative is on understanding and countering adversary attacks on America’s justice system, to include courts, judges, prosecutors, and the rule of law. Improving cybersecurity of institutions and individuals is a crucial mechanism for strengthening America’s capacity to guard against threats to our democracy. In addition, the initiative will focus on building national resilience against information operations that threaten to undermine public respect for democratic institutions.
CSIS is seeking a Program Manager/Research Associate to join the DDI project and help execute its research, events and communications missions. She/he reports to Suzanne Spaulding, Director of DDI, and Senior Advisor, Homeland Security Program and International Security Program. CSIS will also consider placing candidates into a Program Coordinator/Research Assistant position if their educational background more closely aligns with that level.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential functions may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Conducts topical and regional research in support of Program publications and briefings
- Monitors news and developments on Russian and other potential adversaries’ attempts to undermine America’s justice system, including scraping social media and other online sources for evidence
- Assists in conceptualizing new project ideas
- Derives, analyzes, and writes project findings in DDI products in collaboration with the DDI director, including reports, commentaries, policy briefs, and op-eds
- Manages event logistics for Program meetings, activities, seminars, and briefings
- Manages logistics for Program study trips
- Assists with Program outreach activities and contacts management
- Produces content for the DDI website for use by policy audiences
- Represents DDI meetings and events
- Assists in preparation of fundraising proposals and reports to funding sources of the Program
- Assists with publication layout and dissemination;
- Organizes and staffs events, including meetings, briefings, roundtables, and major conferences.
- Manages day-to-day operations, including fielding calls, maintaining program calendar, updating website and contact database, organizing travel, and serving as the executive assistant to the DDI Director.
- Oversees intern(s) on administrative tasks.
- Prepares and disseminates routine correspondence to program stakeholders.
- Serves as a liaison with CSIS operational departments such as External Relations, Strategic Planning, and Human Resources.
- Assists director and staff with development of program budgets, monitoring of financial transactions (revenue and expenses), and processing of invoices.
- Other administrative tasks as needed.
- B.A./B.S. in International Relations, Political Science, Economics, Journalism, or related field for a Program Coordinator and Research Assistant role; M.A./M.S./J.D. or progress toward a Masters’ or law degree for a Program Manager and Research Associate position;
- Strong knowledge and comfort across disciplines and issue areas including international relations and security, and ideally in disinformation operations, cybersecurity and/or the U.S. justice system
- Demonstrated ability to conduct rigorous research and present information clearly and efficiently;
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Superior writing and analytical skills;
- Ability to manage competing priorities under time pressures;
- Strong communication skills;
- Ability to write, think, and operate both independently and on a team.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org