This position is designed to support research projects through research, analysis, and administration of activities in the Stimson Center’s East Asia Program. The position has primary focus on China but will assist Japan-related program activities as assigned. The program closely monitors domestic development and foreign policy of China to understand the motivation, approaches and impact of China’s overseas engagement.
- Assist in implementing the research projects that advance knowledge, debate and policy-making in East Asian security; conduct project-related research using diverse sources;
- Monitor developments in key strategic trends in the East Asia-China region, US strategy toward the East Asia-China region, US-China relations, East Asia-China’s security and defense policy, and East Asia-China’s domestic politics;
- Perform administrative duties for the East Asia Program (Japan and China) including but not limited to event logistics, expense reports, regular website/listserv maintenance, meeting minutes/summaries and social media in coordination with Research Analyst;
- Proofread and copy-edit project publications;
- Coordinate media outreach plans. Draft written correspondence such as issue briefings, press releases, and articles for the web
- Upon consultation with Co-Directors of East Asia, develop and author original research and written materials including occasional papers, commentaries, reports, articles and issue briefs;
- Identify and evaluate ways in which the project can better utilize technical resources for outreach and information gathering;
- Assist with prospective funder research and preparation of funding proposals and reports; and
- Assist with the supervision of East Asia program interns.
The above specified tasks may not be the only duties assigned. Employees will be required to carry out any other job-related instructions requested by their supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodations.
Reports to: Research Analyst, East Asia Program
Education and Experience
Depending on the academic background and work experience of the applicant, the position is adjustable between Research Associate and Research Assistant. For Research Associate, Master’s degree in related field with 1-2 years relevant experience or Bachelor’s degree in related field with 2-4 years relevant experience is required. For Research Assistant, Bachelor’s degree in related field with 1-2 years relevant experience is required.
Other requirements include:
- Excellent research and analytical skills;
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written;
- Strong copy-editing skills;
- Strong command of English and Chinese languages;
- Strong interest in China;
- Attention to detail and commitment to high quality administrative work;
- Teamwork spirit and the ability to work independently when needed.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org