Job Function: International
Department: Middle East & North Africa
Resident Program Director for Political Party and Parliamentary Strengthening, Tunisia
The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) seeks a Resident Political Party and Parliamentary Strengthening Director to manage programs and partnerships to help Tunisian political actors (including political parties, elected officials, parliamentary leadership and staff, and civil society organizations) improve governance through responsive legislation and policy-making at the national and local levels and strengthen constituent/citizen engagement. NDI seeks candidates with strong leadership and management skills, coupled with relevant political organizing or legislative skills. Professional experience in transition societies and challenging environments is highly desirable. The position is available immediately.
This position will be based in Tunis, with frequent travel throughout the country to meet program goals. The Program Director will report to NDI's Resident Senior Director. Hiring is contingent on donor approval.
- Lead the implementation of NDI's political party and parliamentary strengthening programs in Tunisia to increase parties' and parliamentary responsiveness to citizens, in consultation with the Resident Senior Director
- Provide consultations and trainings on strategic planning, inclusive platform development, public outreach, coalition building, issues research, governmental oversight, and campaign organization
- Develop and maintain relationships with key political and civic actors, government, and the donor community
- Develop specific initiatives to promote the role of women, minorities and youth within political parties and movements
- Ensure, where possible and useful, coherence and synergies between the political parties and the parliamentary programs, while also staying in close touch with the local NDI team that implements an elections-related program with civic partners.
- Contribute to effective program monitoring to ensure programmatic goals are achieved and operational and reporting requirements are adhered to
- Represent NDI to Tunisian government officials, party officials, legislative leaders, the diplomatic and donor community, and local and international non-governmental organizations
- Draft and submit accurate and timely field reports that detail program activities, monitor and evaluate program results and provide analysis of political developments
- Supervise assigned staff and foster their professional development
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in international development, political science or management; Additional years of relevant work experience may be substituted for educational requirement on a one-for-one basis
- A minimum of fourteen (14) years of relevant work experience as a political party or parliamentary trainer or working in or with political parties and elected representatives at the provincial or national level
- Practical experience in political party organizing, linking party operations to legislative agendas, efforts to grow diverse membership bases
- Legislative drafting or administration experience preferred
- Extensive training design and delivery experience, with demonstrated ability to communicate as trainer, advisor and coach
- Experience interacting, communicating and engaging with individuals from different countries with cultural sensitivity and diplomacy to build relationships
- Experience working in Tunisia or other countries in the Middle East and North Africa region preferred
- Demonstrated ability to conduct and apply sophisticated political analysis to programmatic activities
- Ability to adjust programmatic activities based on changing political circumstances and in response to needs articulated by local partners and program stakeholders
- Excellent managerial, interpersonal and networking skills, as well as the ability to cultivate professional relationships with senior politicians and elected officials
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English and French, Arabic language desirable
- Experience working in a fast-paced, multi-cultural professional environment and promoting staff development
- Experience with Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, Drive, G+, etc.) required
- Ability and willingness to travel to locations throughout Tunisia which may be remote and difficult to reach
NDI welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment and NDI employees. NDI makes employment decisions based on organizational needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, military status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation, educational status, unemployment status, place of residence or business, source of income, or reproductive health decision making. Additionally, harassment or discrimination based on these characteristics will not be tolerated at NDI. To perform the essential functions of this position, reasonable accommodations are available to qualified individuals with disabilities and qualified individuals who have limitations due to pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or medical related condition.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/wksgcgyjq4jnbxvb