The Education for Peace in Iraq Center (EPIC) works directly with civil society leaders in Iraq to provide relief to vulnerable populations, monitor the crisis to better inform public policy, and enhance understanding of Iraq’s story. EPIC was founded in 1998 U.S Army veterans and humanitarian advocates, who believe that a human security approach can make Iraq safe and prosperous again.
EPIC seeks a dynamic, qualified, and highly motivated individual to fill the full-time position of Project Director, working at EPIC’s field office in Erbil in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq.
Strong applicants will demonstrate a proven ability in program development, management and outreach/fundraising. This position requires: excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Arabic; strong interpersonal skills; proven tactics and strategies for organizing and implementing special projects; ability to multi-task while maintaining attention to detail; and an entrepreneurial approach to managing projects, staff, field research, reporting systems, and organizational partnerships in a complex environment.
The Project Director reports to EPIC’s Executive Director and supervises the Security Reporting Manager.
Project Management and Oversight
· Responsible for overall technical leadership and management of project/s
· Supervise the Security Reporting manager and oversee his/her management of three network partners and network volunteers
· Provide strategic and technical direction and leadership for project activities, including strategic planning, work planning, materials development and dissemination, capacity building, network strengthening, and outreach/fundraising
· Represent EPIC with project partner NGOs and USAID as needed
· Represent EPIC with international and bilateral donors based in Erbil and Baghdad as needed
· Ensure the timely and accurate completion and operation of research and monitoring systems in the field
· Ensure collaboration and integration of technical implementation activities with EPIC’s consortium partners
· Draft written and financial reports, and provide oral presentations
· Oversee all project financial, compliance and administrative matters in coordination with EPIC’s HQ office in Washington DC
Research, Monitoring and Communications
· Work with partner organizations to train and develop a community-based reporting system for risks and human rights violations, based on participatory mapping
· Organize regular meetings with network leaders and local response networks
· Produce real time, weekly, monthly and thematic early warning reports/analysis to be shared with EPIC, its partner organizations and other key stakeholders
· Develop a regionally-specific version of the Iraq Security Humanitarian Monitor
· Work with primary partner to utilize participatory mapping to identify security threats and risks for safety assessment as a reporting and rapid response mechanism
· Review results of participatory mapping on a weekly basis in order to identify and carry out actions to address security threats
· Develop community safety and response systems
· Promote content using available outlets, like social media and community radio
· Develop and disseminate culturally appropriate media content
· Document key success stories from early warning reports, incidents and/or responses
· Draft required project reports
· Work with other program staff in development, continuous learning and improvement of early warning systems
· Identify and evaluate existing monitoring and reporting systems, particularly related to ERW
· Remain dedicated to EPIC’s mission: making Iraq safe and prosperous again through programming, advocacy, and education
· Work zealously to implement EPIC’s strategic goals and objectives and enhance its reputation and brand
· Contribute to a positive work environment with all colleagues
· Take initiative that adds value to the organization
· Accomplish other tasks and duties as they are assigned with attention to detail and thoughtful ability
We are looking for candidates with the ability to effectively fill and grow this role. We expect that qualified candidates will have:
· A Master’s degree in public affairs, communications, political or social science, international relations, nonprofit management, or a closely related field
· A minimum of 10 years’ experience managing a complex field activity, with proven leadership, management and technical skills
· Demonstrated interest in and familiarity with the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region, especially Iraq and Iraqi Kurdistan
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office
· A sense of humor is a plus
Submit a CV, cover letter, list of three references, and writing sample in English of no more than five pages. Please include the position title in the subject line.
Salary will depend on candidate’s qualifications, and will be commensurate with experience and education. Applications will be considered until the position is filled. No phone calls accepted.
EPIC is an equal-opportunity employer.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org