Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the United Nations Counter-Terrorism Centre (UNCCT) within the United Nations Office of Counter-Terrorism (UNOCT). The Programme Officer reports to the Chief of the UNCCT Capacity Building Unit. The focus of this post is to lead the development and support the implementation of a new UNOCT/UNCCT-led project, with several partners to support Member States in adopting and implementing effective and human rights compliant Advance Passenger Information (API) and Passenger Name Record (PNR) systems.
Within delegated authority, the Programme Officer will be responsible for the following duties: (These duties are generic, and may not be performed by all Programme Officers.)
- Develops, implements and evaluates assigned programmes/projects relating to API/PNR, etc.; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; ensures follow-up actions.
- Performs consulting assignments on API/PNR, in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
- Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources.
- Coordinates policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends relating to API/PNR, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies.
- Generates survey initiatives on API/PNR; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identify problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
- Organizes and prepares written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc., as they relate to API/PNR.
- Provides substantive backstopping to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
- Initiates and coordinates outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc. on API/PNR; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Leads and/or participates in large, complex field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.
- Coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
- Performs other duties as required.
- Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to API/PNR issues, including on the adoption, introduction and use of API/PNR by Member States. Knowledge of UN Security Council mandates relating to API/PNR and the relevant work of project partners. Ability to draft complex and coherent project documents drawing on the expertise of a broad range of actors. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis by utilizing various research sources such as information on the internet, intranet, and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in business administration, management, economics, political affairs, law or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, administration or related area is required. A minimum of three years of experience in Advance Passenger Information (API) and Passenger Name Record (PNR) systems related project is required. Experience in managing international multi-stakeholder projects or programme is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertise
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org