UNI Europa, the European services workers’ union, is seeking a European Political Secretary servicing the work of its graphical sector, UNI Europa Graphical.
Our organisation is the voice of 270 trade unions with 7 million members throughout Europe. Besides the graphical and packaging industry, our sectors include media and entertainment, commerce, finance, ICTS, post and care.
UNI Europa’s strategy is to build power for working people through strong unions and work towards a social Europe with quality jobs and fair working conditions for everyone. We promote and advocate workers and trade union interests towards EU institutions and multinational companies.
The European Political Graphical Secretary manages operational and policy activities in his/her field of work, in particular with a view to implement the decisions of UNI Europa Graphical. He/she works with a high degree of independent judgement and decision-making within the framework set by the Regional Secretary as well as UNI Europa’s and UNI Europa Graphical’ s statutory bodies.
Key areas of activities include as appropriate: campaigning, organising, relations with employers and multinational companies, social dialogue and collective bargaining, EU institutions and EU policymaking, relations with affiliates, project management, communication and research.
The main focus of the job is on initiating, planning, running, supervising and coordinating activities in his/her fields of work.
Tasks and responsibilities comprise in particular:
- Contributing proactively to the definition and implementation of relevant UNI Europa Graphical and UNI Europa policies, strategies, action and projects as well as providing policy advice; this includes preparing and/or coordinating the preparation of relevant policy, research and project documents;
- Supporting affiliates in organising and campaigning at company, sectoral and international level with a special focus on multinationals and capacity building in order to grow their union and leverage;
- Representing his/her fields of work and UNI Europa Graphical within internal bodies as well as vis-à-vis affiliates and external actors; this includes organising and leading meetings, advocating UNI Europa’ s positions and negotiating, especially with employers;
- Promoting the visibility of UNI Europa Graphical and UNI Europa as a whole, in particular by communicating on activities effectively to affiliates and other relevant parties, including via the UNI Europa website and social media;
- Bringing affiliates together and guiding them towards the attainment of common objectives by coordinating their activities and using their competencies in the most effective way;
- Establishing, developing and maintaining networks; efficient co-operation, good relations and contacts with all relevant internal and external parties (including all parts of UNI Europa, UNI Global Union and affiliates);
- Providing input into UNI Europa’s mid- to long-term strategic planning, from both the perspective of his/her fields of work and a wider UNI Europa perspective, thereby contributing to UNI Europa’s strategy and vision;
- Practising and promoting UNI Europa’s common values and helping to develop UNI Europa’s reputation as the European trade union federation for services workers.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in policy and campaigning work with leadership experience, preferably with a European dimension, in an organisation/institution comparable to UNI Europa;
- A distinct advantage for candidates is experience in trade union work at national and/or international level in some of the key areas of work mentioned above;
- Prior knowledge and union involvement in the Graphical sector would be an advantage, including knowledge of industrial relations and union trends;
- Strong leadership skills; good inter-personal and partnership skills, in particular the ability to motivate colleagues and work in a team;
- Ability to work strategically, take initiatives and react flexibly to new challenges on specific dossiers – often under pressure;
- Establishing and maintaining a high level of expertise and full understanding of trends and developments in his/her field of work;
- Effective time management skills, with the ability to prioritise and manage multiple tasks;
- Ability to adapt to strenuous travel commitments;
- Excellent written and spoken English (of at least C1); knowledge at a similar level of at least one other working language of UNI Europa (French, German, Italian, Swedish).
- UNI Europa offers attractive conditions with a competitive salary and an attractive package of fringe benefits in line with seniority and work experience. This includes complementary hospital insurance and complementary pension scheme.
Candidates should send their application form to: [email protected] with the subject heading "Vacancy – European Political Graphical Secretary”.
The aim is to hold interviews in December 2018 or beginning of January 2019.
The successful candidate will be based in Brussels/Belgium.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org