Rights and Resources Group is a non-profit organization that serves as coordinating mechanism for the Rights and Resources Initiative, a global coalition to advance forest tenure, policy and market reforms. Rights and Resources Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Learn more at www.rightsandresources.org.
We are looking for a dedicated individual who will take initiative, demonstrate responsibility, and become an integral part of our small and passionate team. The Associate is responsible for providing support to RRI’s Latin America Program, specifically to the RRI Director Latin America Program The Associate will undertake these duties in a systematic and precise manner, handling details carefully without compromising attention to big-picture goals. The Associate will be flexible to work in a highly dynamic environment while ensuring that the work is completed within established deadlines. A collegial and cheerful demeanor is essential.
The Associate must be fluent in Spanish and familiar with the politics and human rights status of the region. To become successful in the role, they must develop a thorough understanding of the RRI/RRG organization and functioning acquired through demonstrated effective work in the organization. As such, there is a high threshold for accountability, the exercise of judgment, discretion, and ownership of responsibilities expected from the Associate, based on the overall guidance provided by the Director.
The Associate will work under the supervision of the Director of Latin America Program. This position is a full-time contract-to-hire position based in Washington, DC, and is classified as non-exempt under the US Fair Labor Standards Act.
Essential Job Functions:
Support the Director, Latin America Program as follows:
• Provide general administrative support for the Latin America Program, assisting the Director, and Facilitator(s) as appropriate.
• Under the guidance of the Director, take ownership and responsibility for proactively:
• Support the contracting process via consolidation of budgets and work plans for Latin America, reviewing and providing input to concept notes and drafting all Latin America Program contracts and amendments as needed.
• Tracking projects in Latin America, e. g. project deliverables; review financial reports and manage payment activities consistent with RRI’s accounting tools.
• Drafting correspondence with Partners, Collaborators, Affiliated Networks and Fellows during the planning/contractual process to facilitate ensuring concept notes, contracts, reporting and payments are completed in a timely fashion and accurately reflect program/activity objectives.
• Assisting the coordination of annual regional and country planning, preparing background material for planning meeting, and providing updated information to Coalition members, and consolidating inputs for preparation of the annual work book.
• Assisting in the coordination and drafting high quality relevant analytical briefings and country updates as required as input to RRI publications, reports, planning process, RRI website, RRI quarterly email updates, and monthly meetings reports, ensuring the Latin America Program’s contributions to RRI are captured in institutional communications and outreach.
• Provide backup support and contribute to various research and analytical activities in the region.
• Prepare Draft Strategic Response Mechanism (SRM) RRG memos and documentation for program level review before submission to management and to the Board.
• Manage and provide logistical, travel, administrative and research support to meetings and events held at national, regional and global levels, including contributions to note-taking, generating of reports or briefs, translation of short documents, and simultaneous translation.
• Maintain and update contacts of Latin America Partners, Collaborators, Affiliate Network, Fellows, and other relevant actors.
• Contribute to developing, monitoring and evaluating country and regional strategies, including annual planning, under direction of Director, and Facilitator(s) as appropriate.
• Contribute to M&E process and reporting, ensuring documents are prepared on time to reflect the program’s impacts and the decisions of the Latin America coalition.
• In coordination with Communication’s and Outreach Department, manage Latin America webpage and update event announcements, regionally-specific news and relevant content to blogs in English and Spanish on RRI website.
• Effectively contribute to the smooth Latin America Program administration, adhering to RRI administrative protocol and deadlines by proactively and independently communicating and seeking resolution of issues, consulting the Program Administrator, Program Director or other relevant RRG staff using best judgment before taking independent action.
• Supplement as appropriate activities of the regional Facilitator acting as an information resource to RRG staff, Partners, Collaborators, Affiliated Networks, Consultants and other relevant to help them understand and facilitate RRG activities in the Region responding to requests for information about RRI projects and policies in the Region and providing key information and/or channeling these requests to the Facilitator.
• Undertake other tasks as requested by the Director of Latin America Program.
• Assist the LA Director in all responsibilities related to RRI support to the Tenure Facility projects.
Organization Planning and Institution-wide Support:
• Provide support to the appropriate member(s) of the Management Team on institution-wide functions as requested, including correspondence with Partners, Affiliated Networks, and Collaborators to build the Coalition, support for implementing the operating plans for the Strategic Proposal III guiding framework, support preparation of narrative reports to donors, and support planning and monitoring, including the Independent Monitor.
• Provide support related to a strategic theme of intellectual interest, contributing to and/or carrying out research or strategic analysis, providing critical comments on analysis created by RRI Partners, Affiliated Networks, and Collaborators, collecting and disseminating relevant publications, articles, news and analyses, supporting networking activities of RRI Partners and Collaborators.
• Edit and translate minor or internal documents to/from English and Spanish.
• Prepare regional and thematic presentations for planning and governance meetings
• Provide logistical and administrative support to RRI governance and global planning meetings, including contributions to note-taking, translation of short documents and simultaneous translation.
• Participate in governance meetings, staff retreats, and team assessment of organization wide and coalition wide progress towards RRI goals and Vision.
• Support the organization, convening and documentation of coalition planning meetings.
1. Bachelor’s degree (preferably with some focus on Project administration, International Development, Human Rights, and/or Environment, and experience in Latin America) required with 3-5 year of experience in program administration, including contracts, budgets, tracking tools; or Master’s Degree with 1-3 years of experience.
2. Excellent English and Spanish written and verbal communication skills required;
3. Highly organized and detail-oriented, ideally with experience organizing large events. Ability to prioritize competing demands and projects in both short and long term;
4. Ability to handle multiple tasks, performs well under pressure, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines and objectives;
5. Strong computer skills including Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, basic Microsoft Excel, and internet savvy; and other digital tools;
6. Ability to work well in a team environment, with the flexibility to work independently in a highly dynamic environment while ensuring that established deadlines are met on a wide variety of tasks;
7. Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work with people in a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
8. Ability and willingness to travel overseas if required;
9. Familiarity and demonstrated interest in international context and issues at the core of RRI’s Latin America Program of work.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and short (1-2 pages maximum) writing sample in English and in Spanish. The subject line of the email must read: “Associate, Latin America”. Applications will be accepted immediately and interviews conducted on a rolling basis. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Please, no phone calls, emails or recruiters.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org