The project “Enhancing accountability for gender equality and women’s empowerment in national reforms, peace and security” aims to: consolidate the efforts of government, parliament and civil society to remove structural barriers to gender equality and women’s human rights; ensure accountability of national governance, reforms, planning and budgeting for commitments and priorities in the areas of gender equality and women, peace and security; strengthen cross-sectoral coordination and oversight for gender and women’s rights commitments; strengthen coalitions between government, parliament, media and civil society for evidence-based advocacy in Ukraine; strengthen the capacity of gender advocates and women’s groups to effectively demand gender equality in reforms and peacebuilding.
Under the overall guidance and direction of the International Project Manager, Programme Analyst on Gender-Responsive Reform contributes to the effective management of UN Women project “Enhancing accountability for gender equality and women’s empowerment in national reforms, peace and security” (2017-2021) in Kyiv, Ukraine, by providing substantive inputs to programme design, formulation, implementation, evaluation and reporting. S/he guides and facilitates the delivery of UN Women programmes by providing advice in legislative and normative sphere necessary for enhancing women’s participation in peace building process. She/he works in close collaboration with the programme and operations team, UN Women Country, Regional and HQ staff, Government officials, Parliament, Ombudsperson, multi and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UN Women programme implementation under portfolio.
Impact of results:
The key results of this post directly impact on the ability of UN Women to effectively implement UN Women’s programs and related operations in the country. This impact should lead to enhancing the visibility and image of UN Women as an effective leader on gender equality and women’s rights and empowerment within the country.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Programme Development and Management (Gender-Responsive Reforms);
- Inter-Agency Coordination Support (Gender-Responsive Reforms);
- Strategic partnerships building and resource mobilization (Gender-Responsive Reforms);
- Advocacy support and facilitation of knowledge building and management (Gender-Responsive Reforms).
Programme Development and Management (Gender-Responsive Reforms):
- Ensure substantive contribution to the analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country and prepare substantive inputs to the UN Women country office programme planning;
- Keep abreast of new policy developments and strategies analyzing policy papers, strategy documents, national plans and development frameworks, and prepares briefs and inputs for policy dialogue, technical assistance coordination, and development frameworks;
- Design and formulate of programme initiatives translating UN Women’s priorities into local interventions and ensuring substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches;
- Analyze quality of programme/projects design incorporating lessons learned, newly developed policies and best practices and establishing appropriate execution and monitoring mechanisms and systems;
- Expedite and coordinate programmes/projects implementation establishing collaborative relationships with executing agencies, experts, government counterparts and other UN agencies facilitating timely and efficient delivery of inputs;
- Ensure effective application of RBM tools and monitoring achievement of results;
- Supervise, coordinate and monitor field level activities of portfolio.
Inter-Agency Coordination Support (Gender-Responsive Reforms):
- Provide substantive support to the UN Women Representative on inter-agency coordination related activities;
- Take part in country level Comprehensive Country Assessment (CCA)/UNDAF processes and similar exercises related to the RC system ensuring that gender and women’s human rights concerns are clearly reflected and mainstreamed in process;
- Prepare substantive inputs to CCA/ UNDAF and other documents including analyzing and researching the political, social and economic situation in the region;
- Ensure preparation of analytical and regular progress reports on UN Women´s program experiences in support of UN women inter-agency coordination role;
- Provide substantive inputs to the work of the UN Theme Groups, including on Gender, Human Rights, UNDAF Thematic Pillar on Democratic governance, rule of law and civic participation and the other inter-agency coordination groups and mechanisms.
Strategic partnerships building and resource mobilization support (Gender-Responsive Reforms):
- Build strategic partnerships and resource mobilization efforts by preparing relevant documentation, i.e. project summaries, conference papers, speeches, donor profiles, and participating in donor meetings and public information events;
- Provide substantive inputs to resource mobilization strategies, analyzing and maintaining information and databases on donors and developing database of project profiles for presentation to donors;
- Create and coordinate partnerships with the UN Agencies, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society etc.;
- Ensure analysis and research of information on donors, prepares substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost-sharing;
- Ensure monitoring of resource on mobilization activities for fund raising for new projects in coordination with the UN Women Representaive.
Advocacy support and facilitation of knowledge building and management (Gender-Responsive Reforms):
- Manage the establishment of advocacy networks at national level and linkages to international networks;
- Proactively and substantively support and implement relevant, high-impact advocacy activities and campaigns with key partners;
- Ensure awareness about current and emerging trends by analyzing programme, projects, strategies, approaches and ongoing experience for lessons learned, best practices, and shares with management for use in knowledge sharing and planning future strategies;
- Prepare articles and social media materials on the project activities as well as the thematic materials;
- Proactively contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
MEASURABLE OUTPUTS OF THE WORK ASSIGNMENT:
- Substantive support to the UN Women Representative on inter-agency coordination related activities is provided;
- Results, experiences and lessons learned during implementation of the project disseminated at the national and regional levels;
- Programme initiatives are designed and formulated for translating UN Women’s priorities into local interventions;
- Reporting, quality monitoring activities completed.
PERFORMANCE INDICATORS FOR EVALUATION OF RESULTS:
- Annual work plan for project is fully and timely implemented;
- Funds delivery for the project reached 100%;
- Advocacy networks at national level are established and linkages to international networks ensured.
CORE VALUES/GUIDING PRINCIPLES:
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct;
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work;
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity;
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative;
- Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication;
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others;
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution;
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge;
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
- Demonstrated development/programming skills particularly those that are pertinent to UN Women strategic priorities on gender issues and women’s rights;
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects;
- Ability to develop detailed operational plans, budgets, and deliver on them for development results;
- Good knowledge of Results Based Management principles and approaches;
- Ability to establish and maintain broad strategic networks and partnerships with UN agencies and other international partners to promote partnership and build alliances to advance organizational interests and competencies; CORE VALUES/GUIDING PRINCIPLES (applies to all);
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice;
- Demonstrated good oral and written communication skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Human Rights, Law, Economics, Gender Studies and Social Sciences or related field.
- Minimum 5 years of progressively responsible experience in programme, management advisory services or related field preferably in the international environment;
- Experience and understanding of implementing, human rights, gender equality and women's empowerment projects/initiatives. Experience in advocacy for gender equality and women's empowerment is desirable;
- Knowledge of and previous experience with governance and reforms in Ukraine is desirable;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
- Fluency in oral and written English, Ukrainian and Russian languages.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org