Creative Associates seeks a Chief of Party (COP) for the Bringing Unity, Integrity, Legitimacy, and Democracy (BUILD) project, funded by USAID to support the strengthening of political and electoral processes in Somalia. The COP will be based in Mogadishu, Somalia and will be responsible for the technical leadership and in-country management of the project. S/he will oversee the long-term expatriate and local staff and short-term experts in achieving project results. S/he will undertake regular assessments of the broader political environment within which the project operates to ensure flexibility and rapid reprioritization of activities when necessary.
This position reports to the Headquarters-based Program Director in the Communities in Transition Division or her designee.
- Serve as principal liaison with U.S. Government representatives, Somalian government counterparts and community stakeholders on program communications and technical implementation activities;
- Provide technical direction and leadership and oversight of all administrative matters;
- Provide technical support to the team in all program areas;
- Develop and implement work plans for project activities;
- Oversee implementation of project monitoring and evaluation activities and ensure that project results are met;
- Supervise development and submission of project deliverables in close consultation with Creative HQ and provide timely and accurate reporting and briefings to U.S. Government/Stakeholders on all program areas;
- Ensure compliance with all terms of the project contract and all relevant USAID and U.S. Government rules and regulations;
- Oversee implementation of Creative’s security protocols and provide leadership in handling security-related issues; and
- Manage the program team in a manner that is open and respectful, encourages professional development and solicits constructive staff input.
- At least ten (10) years of experience working on democracy and governance programming in developing countries, with experience in civic engagement/civil society, political processes including elections, governance, institutional and political party development, or directly related technical areas;
- At least seven (7) years of progressively responsible management experience, with significant experience as a development professional administering donor-funded programs, preferably in Sub-Saharan Africa;
- Demonstrated capacity to develop solid working relationships with senior government officials, local governments, non-governmental institutions, and coordination with other donors;
- Demonstrated record of success in politically sensitive environments;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Strong analytical capacity;
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in a relevant field; and
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- Experience working directly with election management bodies and oversight of political processes, especially as they relate to youth and gender;
- Experience in gender equality and women’s empowerment strongly preferred;
- Experience working with partnership organizations, especially civil society organizations and/or government agencies;
- Experience in producing civic/voter education materials;
- Experience in developing survey tools and working with focus groups;
- Master’s degree from an accredited university in a relevant field; and
- Somali language skills strongly preferred.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org