The US Forest Service Office of International Programs (USFS/IP) may seek one part-time communications specialist to for the USFS/IP programs in Africa and the Middle East. Communications products will encompass a variety of natural resources-related topics including but not limited to community forestry, youth engagement, urban forestry, illegal logging, nursery management, fire and disaster management, and mining. This skills search outlines activities and objectives for the part-time consultant.
Responsibilities of the Communications Specialist will include but are not limited to:
• Develop and implement a communications strategy for the Africa and Middle East program to streamline, augment, and increase communication and outreach materials and outputs.
• Develop communications products including, but not limited to, videos, success stories, social media posts, brochures, infographics, interviews, templates, and talking points.
• Write narrative content for communications products, such as newsletter articles, success stories, and fact sheets.
• Coordinate translation of communication material as-needed.
• Travel to the field to document and gather information on programmatic activities may be required.
• Establish communications standards and protocols for photos and videos.
• Assist with communications-related planning and coordinating events, activities, and workshops with program partners.
• Establish media contacts and relations in key program countries.
• Ensure outreach materials are consistent and compliant with U.S. Forest Service guidelines and donor branding (i.e. U.S. State Department, U.S. Agency for International Development).
• Coordinate closely with individual country program managers on communications needs and outputs.
• Minimum 5 years’ experience working in media/communications
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, international development or similar field preferred
• Professional written and spoken English required, along with strong writing and editing skills
• Experience with social media, print material, graphic design and layout, website building, and
• Prior international experience required.
• Experience developing communications products for USAID or major international donor organizations and foreign governments preferred.
• Ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
• Self-starter, creative and innovative are all desired qualifications.
Position may be based wherever the communications specialist and program manager agree is most beneficial for all parties, including the specialist’s home/office.
Recruitment Process: If a qualified applicant is located, the individual would be hired through a contractor.
Please email your resume or CV and a cover letter no later than January 31st. Please include “Africa and Middle East Communications Specialist” in the subject line. In the body of the email, please indicate where you saw this posting. Finalists will be contacted.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org