NEF is recruiting for a Programme Officer to provide programmatic support to JAFOWA (Joint Action for Farmers Organisations in West Africa).
JAFOWA is a collaborative funding initiative of foundations active in West Africa in supporting family farming. JAFOWA seeks to reinforce Farmers Organisations (FOs) who work with smallholder farmers, pastoralists and fishermen, to manage quality local food systems that benefit their families and communities in ecologically sustainable ways. It aims at supporting a strong and equitable farmers’ movement in West Africa.
JAFOWA supports FOs through grant making and capacity development in West Africa, with a focus on Burkina Faso and Senegal. A first call for projects was launched in 2016 and a second call will be disseminated at the beginning of 2019.
JAFOWA is composed by the following Partner Foundations: ▪ Fondation de France (France) ▪ Compagnia di San Paolo (Italy) ▪ Fondazione Cariplo (Italy) ▪ Foundation for a Just Society (USA), it is hosted by the Network of European Foundations (NEF).
About the position
You will support the development and implementation of the strategic decisions of the JAFOWA Steering Committee (SC). You manage the portfolio of grants and support the development of the other strands of the programme (capacity development, advocacy, communication…).
You will report to the NEF executive director and the SC Chair and must have prior programmatic experience in the West African region, be efficient, an excellent multi-tasker, and a team player that is able to operate in a fast-paced environment.
To be successful, you should have at least 3-5 years’ work experience in a similar role. Located in Brussels, you will travel regularly to the field. You must be fluent in French and English.
Essential duties and responsibilities will include:
- Coordination and secretariat:
- Prepare and follow-up decision-making on strategy and implementation in foundations’ steering committees and in advisory board meetings;
- Coordinate and report on progress and oversee the linkages of JAFOWA with key stakeholders (grantees, technical partners, other donors, institutions or partners in the region…);
- Monitor and inform stakeholders about developments in the field of JAFOWA with the support of ‘local resource persons’ to inform JAFOWA strategy;
- Provide support on the implementation of the JAFOWA advocacy and communication strategy and ensure synergies with PAFAO (Programme de Promotion de l’agriculture familiale en Afrique de l’Ouest) in terms of capitalisation.
- Grants management:
- Prepare the calls for projects and support the evaluation of project proposals;
- Follow the implementation of grantees’ projects including contracts and provide support for their work on advocacy/communication, capitalisation and networking, in link with local resource persons;
- Be a contact point for grantees and their partners’ organisations in the field;
- Support the development and implementation of capacity development activities for grantees (training, workshops…) in collaboration with local resource persons;
- Extract project learnings to contribute to the evaluation of JAFOWA’ work, support the Monitoring and Evaluation strand of the JAFOWA programme;
- Liaise with NEF for all financial disbursements to ensure proper recording of JAFOWA expenditure and income and follow JAFOWA multi-annual budget to be approved bythe Steering Committee.
- University’s degree in a relevant field of study;
- At least 3-5 years of work experience in a similar role;
- Previous experience in West Africa is essential, working in the field of sustainable local food system, agro ecology or rural development;
- Fluent in French and English;
- Experience with record keeping, budget/finance and contract administration is essential;
- Experience with multi-tasking and working independently;
- Proven ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment; to troubleshoot and follow projects through to completion, consistently on schedule, without loss of attention to detail;
- Excellent written and verbal communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills;
- Flexible and adaptable approach to work.
Competitive rates of pay apply (lunch vouchers and health pension).
Definite contract of 2 years (to begin) for a full time position.
Start date: ASAP
Send your CV and a cover letter before January 31, 2018.
Interviews will take place in the 2nd week of February 2019 in Brussels.
Only shortlisted applicants will receive notification.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org