Design Specialist, Communications, New York, Deadline: 02/14/2019
The Office of Communications plays a central role in the work of the Open Society Foundations by coordinating and strengthening the public presence of the global network and by helping to advance relevant issues. Communications works to raise the Foundations' public profile by promoting the network's many noteworthy achievements as well as responding to attacks from opponents of open society around the world. The department employs media outreach, publications, and the web to assist dozens of Open Society foundations and programs in their communications efforts.Job Profile
The Communications team is seeking a Design Specialist for 30 hours per week
, based in New York. You will be responsible for visually representing the Open Society Foundations through digital, video, and print media. You have a passion for designing for social change and are proficient at synthesizing and translating raw ideas into clear, efficient, and compelling designs, while following and extending a set of guidelines that articulate Open Society's brand. You will work under the guidance of the Head of Creative to develop and produce a variety of materials to ensure a consistency of style, quality, and tone of voice.
Typical duties and responsibilities include:
- Development and production of digital and print products that maintain a consistent visual language
- Concepting and creation of mockups and prototypes for new products and application of the Open Society system to existing products
- Design compelling visuals for digital content including social media, websites, emails, and videos
- Design various print communications materials, including posters, reports, timelines, internal policies, external brochures/fact sheets and infographics
- Help develop and update Open Society's asset library
- Evaluate new techniques and methodologies and adapt to changes in the design field to support OSF's communications and advocacy strategies
Please note that this role is 30 hours per week.Application Instructions:
- 3+ years design experience (print, web/multimedia, motion, branding)
- Superior design skills, graphic and digital
- Proficient: InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and other industry-standard graphics software
- Working knowledge: Adobe After Effects, Premiere
- Excellent communications skills
- Ability to provide and receive critical feedback
- Ability to work under limited supervision, both independently and in a team environment
- Ability to manage numerous projects simultaneously without losing attention to detail
- Strong understanding of cultural differences and the proven ability to build and maintain relationships with a wide range of people from diverse backgrounds within a complex organization
- Demonstrated ability to use discretion and judgment regarding sensitive and confidential issues
- Proven ability to prioritize a wide range of assignments and consistently deliver at a high level of quality in high pressure, fast-paced environments
Please upload a cover letter outlining your motivation and relevant experience and a CV with a link to your portfolio.
Competitive rates of pay apply.
We are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues across the Open Society Foundations. We welcome applications from people of all cultures, backgrounds, and experiences, and are committed to providing reasonable adjustments so that colleagues with disabilities are able to fulfill the essential functions of the job.