The Oakland Institute is looking for a sharp, passionate, and committed individual to join our team as a Junior Research Associate. This is an entry-level position aimed at new college graduates who are looking for opportunities to build their research and advocacy skills in a fast-paced environment.
The Oakland Institute is an independent policy think tank bringing fresh ideas and bold action to the most pressing social, economic, and environmental issues of our time. Our research investigates land rights and the theft of natural resources; analyzes the impact of so-called development schemes and international aid from donor countries and international financial institutions; promotes agro-ecological solutions; examines the impact of conservation on indigenous communities; and more. Our work is accomplished through impactful research, compelling publications, international advocacy campaigns, and creative communications strategies. To learn more about the Institute, please visit: www.oaklandinstitute.org.
The Junior Research Associate will support our research and advocacy campaigns on topics relating to land rights, food security, and international development. This will include desk research and providing various forms of organizational support, in collaboration with both a supervisor and the rest of the Institute’s team.
This is a great opportunity for a keen individual with good research and writing skills and a passion for social and economic justice to get trained by an internationally recognized institution. As part of our team, this position will allow the person to gain experience on numerous issues and geographic areas. In addition to research support, tasks may include: social media and communications support, event planning, writing blogs, copy editing, translation, fundraising support, and more.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
· Carry out research for reports, briefing papers, and blog posts.
· Assist research and written work led by senior team members.
· Assist with the dissemination of materials produced by the Institute including media work, translation, and outreach.
· Participate in public events and fundraising, and support organizing events to promote the Oakland Institute’s work.
· Participate in regular team meetings, ad-hoc meetings, and project-based calls.
· Support program development: Staying apprised of world news concerning ongoing subject areas, working collaboratively with team members, and maintaining open communication with your supervisor and other team members.
The Desired Candidate Will Be/Have:
· An Excellent and Efficient Communicator: Exemplary written and oral communication skills for a range of audiences.
· A Thorough Researcher: In-depth and thorough research skills on a variety of issues relating to land, development, economics, human rights, and/or the environment.
· Independent & Flexible: Self-directed learner and worker with a willingness and passion to take on new tasks and projects, while also contributing to the team.
· Integrity & Commitment to Social and Economic Justice: High integrity professional, who is passionate both about the organization and issue areas we cover and is committed to actively contribute to the goals of the Oakland Institute.
· College degree in policy, international relations, governance, or related field.
· Demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice issues.
· Fluency in Spanish an asset.
· Experience working in solidarity with farmers, pastoralists, indigenous groups, grassroots organizations & communities an asset.
Send your resume, cover letter, three references, and a writing sample with “Research Associate FirstName LastName” in the subject line. We prefer applications sent as PDFs. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls please.
Only complete applications will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org