The Production Assistant (“PA”) is responsible for providing a diverse range of writing, research, editing, production, and reporting services to support the work of the PBS NewsHour.
- Provide production assistance to producers and team creating broadcast and online content, using media asset management tools, online web research, and video editing programs, such as Premiere Pro, Avid and Final Cut Pro.
- Log live and pre-recorded political events, maintain video log tracking system, and help to manage on-site and off-site video storage and help to sort most relevant editorial information using independent editorial judgment and working in collaboration as needed.
- Independently research and fulfill video and online research requests producers.
- Represent the company externally and internally in the gathering and distribution of video.
- While the focus of this role is on politics, other general assignments will be included as needed.
- Experience in daily journalism, preferably for a national outlet, and covering politics and government. Demonstrated interest and awareness of political and other national news is a must.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced newsroom setting and to adjust smoothly to changing assignments under deadline pressure.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with careful attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational, project planning and follow-through, presentation and time management skills. Flexible and able to handle multiple tasks.
- Ability to work closely with colleagues in a collaborative manner during high pressure situations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to interact with a wide variety of people using diplomacy, tact and discretion.
- Availability to work a non-standard or extended work schedule at times with little or no notice.
- College degree in journalism, communications, political science, or a related discipline.
- Introductory experience with television broadcast and online journalism, including writing, editing, and shooting preferred.
- Experience with Premiere Pro, Avid and Final Cut Pro desirable.
- Or equivalent combination of training and experience.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org