Founded in 1983, the Red Cross EU Office is a partnership between 29 National Red Cross Societies of the EU/EEA and the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.
The Red Cross EU Office helps to coordinate relations between its members organisations and EU decision-makers and stakeholders, sharing their extensive experiences and expertise in supporting vulnerable people and communities within and outside the EU. Based on our members’ practical insights and technical experience, we promote the dignity and wellbeing of vulnerable people by facilitating and voicing common positions and recommendations towards the EU and its Member States. We also monitor European developments that could impact the implementation of our members’ work, as well as supporting them to prepare joint proposals to access EU funding.
For more information please visit www.redcross.eu. You can also connect with us via Facebook and Twitter.
Working under the direct guidance of the Head of Unit, the Migration Officer will provide support to the Red Cross EU office and its members, with a special focus on the programmes relating to migration. He/she contributes to Asylum and Migration EU Policy Analysis, Advocacy and Support for Operational Activities of EUNS in the field of migration.
Together with the other members of the Migration Unit, the Migration Officer is responsible for fulfilling the following in accordance with the Red Cross EU office strategy:
Heighten Red Cross Influence
- To keep abreast of relevant EU legislation and policies;
- To contribute to Red Cross EU Office advocacy and representation with migration stakeholders on the EU level, in platforms and with EU institutions;
- To support coordinated Red Cross EU Office policy statements and positions in close cooperation with PERCO and National Societies migration experts.
Increase EU resources
- To support partnerships and joint projects among members and other partners;
- To maintain an overview of the different funding opportunities for migration projects and to inform members about upcoming calls for project and funding opportunities;
- To promote good practice among members, and to support exchange on successful projects.
Serve our members
- To support the RCEU communication on migration (elaborate weekly updates, contribute to our presence on Twitter, Facebook, website);
- To keep an overview of the activities of members in the field of migration and asylum;
- To highlight success stories of members through news articles;
- To analyse and share important trends and developments in the field of migration which could be relevant for our members’ activities;
- To support the implementation of the IFRC Policy on Migration and of the IFRC Global Migration Strategy among members;
- To contribute to the organization of trainings and events and participate in office meetings;
- To provide regular internal reports on progress, including monthly reports.
- University degree in law, international relations or political science.
- Experience of European and/or International Law and the policies and legal frameworks of migration and asylum;
- Interest in advocacy and humanitarian diplomacy;
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in the field of migration or other related field;
- Experience with a Red Cross Red Crescent National Society or with another humanitarian organisation is an asset;
- Experience with EU institutions and of EU legislative and policy making processes is an asset;
- Practical experiences in writing position paper and policy recommendations is an asset.
- Ability and willingness to work in a team;
- Knowledge of civil society migration related activities in national and/or EU context;
- Excellent communication skills including writing experience;
- Computer literate and experience in web publishing;
- Organised, with ability to meet deadlines.
- Fluently spoken and written English;
- Good command of another EU language.
Terms and Conditions
- Two years fixed-term contract; subject to Belgian social security and taxes;
- Full time position of 38 hours per week;
- Monthly gross salary: EUR 2,700 to 2,800. We further offer an attractive compensation and benefits package.
Applicants with a migratory background are specifically invited to apply for this position.
Please send your CV (max two pages) and a cover letter (max one page) in English by midnight CET, 10 March 2019.
The file names must include first your full name and then the job title. The email subject must include the position name only. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
The starting date will be discussed with the selected candidate.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org