Program Strategy and Leadership
- In collaboration with the Field Operations Department Directors and staff, implements the Program Team vision and strategic plan in accordance with the organization’s five year plan;
- Contributes to Field Operations Department strategic planning and reporting;
- Mentors Country Directors/Managers in the strategic planning process;
- Supports Country Directors/Managers to develop, implement and monitor country strategies and annual work plans.
Program Management and Leadership
- Assists the Global Programs Director in the development and monitoring of country strategies, annual work plans, and reporting against strategic outcomes and indicators;
- Collaborates with the Global Programs Director, to develop and facilitate planning, leadership and capacity building events in designated countries;
- Identifies and pursues opportunities for strategic program growth in assigned countries in collaboration with the Country Directors/Managers;
- Collaborates with the Humanitarian Response Team to build humanitarian response capacity of assigned countries;
- Ensures the effective administration and management of field operations, staffing and systems, including logistics, local hiring, partnership development and program quality etc. according to agreed structures;
- Collaborates with HQ program staff to ensure that HQ reporting, information and data is current, including country information, Project Data System, Project Directory, and Funding Needs;
- Develops annual operating budgets and work plans and ensures effective budget monitoring, reporting, and financial management for assigned countries;
- Support and/or lead country Directors/Managers to ensure monitoring, evaluation, and learning occurs with regard to planned and implemented programs, conducting regular field program visits for monitoring and to support reporting;
- Ensures project proposals and monthly, quarterly, interim and end of project reports are submitted on time and meet standards required by Headquarters and external donors;
- Ensures all program goals, activities, and personnel demonstrate commitment to national and international frameworks and standards such as the Core Humanitarian Standard and Sphere minimum standards;
- Liaises with the Marketing and Development Department to review all outgoing media communications for assigned countries;
- Supports Country Directors/Managers to plan exit strategies for assigned countries identified for program closure.
- Assesses, develops and maintains partnership relations in existing and/or potential program locations;
- Negotiates and creates MOUs and budgets with partners in assigned country programs.
- Represents Medical Teams International to external bodies and humanitarian and development actors including UN agencies and NGOs, faith-based and partner organizations, media, donors, potential new partners, appropriate government officials and other relevant parties in assigned countries and the wider region;
- Identifies and participates in forums, networks and meetings where there may be a strategic benefit to MTI;
- Facilitates networking between assigned country programs, partners and other NGO’s.
- Maintains an ongoing awareness of the program operating environment and identifies particular needs in the health sector that fit with our core competencies in assigned countries;
- Proactively facilitates the growth of Medical Teams International programs; maintaining strong links with donors, volunteers, churches and other organizations in support of the work and mission of MTI; in collaboration with Global Programs Director, identifying funding opportunities with institutional donors, bilateral or multilateral donors, foundations and corporate philanthropies; and supporting the development of institutionally funded program proposals as well as overseeing the financial and program reporting to donors;
- Supports and enables Country Directors/Managers to lead on the design of potential program interventions in assigned country programs.
- Creates an environment for MTI team members to be Courageous, Tenacious, Accountable and Selfless;
- Develops a strong program team that values accountability, 360-degree feedback, and transparency;
- Ensures that team members are effective, efficient, and diligent in meeting program goals;
- Creates a culture of shared learning and professional development within the team;
- Oversees effective human resource management including the recruitment, onboarding, supervision, performance review, and professional development of direct reports;
- Mentors and supports the development of direct reports, especially Country Directors/Managers;
- Prepares and conducts new Country Director/Manager orientations and debriefings of departing Country Directors/Managers;
- Utilizes volunteers whenever possible, ensuring volunteers are trained and oriented to participate effectively in programs and support standards of best practice in international humanitarian assistance.
- Coordinates closely with the Medical Health Product team to plan, mobilize, ship and distribute GIK medical support in assigned country programs and partners;
- Ensures accountability for GIK and timely submission of end-use reports.
- Creates, manages and tracks the program cost center and budgets for assigned country programs;
- Advises the Country Directors/Managers of significant variances in budget versus actual performance and recommend strategies for adjustment as needed;
- Ensures accountability and effective stewardship of all financial resources as per MTI policies and donor requirements;
- Liaises with Finance & Admin team to ensure accurate and timely financial data is available;
- Collaborates with Marketing and Development Department and Business Development Manager to ensure sustainable funding for projects and programs.
Safety and Security
- Ensures implementation of effective safety and security management policies and practices in accordance with Global Personnel Safety and Security Policy; including robust information collection practices and systematic testing of safety and security plans;
- Champions the importance of safety and security in all assigned country programs and with partners and mainstreams safety and security considerations throughout all MTI activities.
Compliance and Technical Quality
- Ensures assigned country programs are compliant with host-government laws and policies, and with Medical Teams International’s internal policies and procedures;
- Coordinates closely with the Strategy & Impact team to ensure recruitment and deployment of technical expertise and to ensure quality program design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation in all assigned country programs;
- Stays current on best practices and standards in international relief and development programming;
- Identifies and facilitates the provision of organizational capacity building of staff and country partners in collaboration with the Strategy & Impact team, including the sharing of tools and best practices and identification/provision of training workshops, conferences and other professional development opportunities.
- Additional duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, LICENSES, & CERTIFICATIONS:
- Master’s degree in a field related to international relief and development work.
- Minimum 5 years’ progressively responsible experience in International relief and development programming;
- Minimum 2 years’ experience overseeing country programs.
- Experience as country director/manager with a humanitarian aid NGO.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Commitment to the mission & calling of Medical Teams International;
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills in strategic planning, achieving results, coordinating & supporting a diverse team, mentoring, and staff development;
- Commitment to organizational strengthening and programmatic growth in accordance with needs;
- Proven ability to produce successful program proposals and develop strategic donor relationships;
- Skilled at building and maintaining a high functioning, high performing work team;
- Demonstrated ability to mentor and develop leaders;
- Experience in creating an environment of accountability;
- Demonstrated ability to lead virtually;
- Ability to work collaboratively with others;
- Strong communication skills including written, oral, and group facilitation; ability to successfully communicate cross-culturally with international partners and diverse constituencies;
- Excellent financial management skills, including ability to prepare, monitor, and control budgets, reports, project proposals and partnership agreement documents;
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills, detail oriented, ability to work independently and in teams, positive attitude, resourceful, innovative and flexible;
- Strong working knowledge of health-sector issues in developing countries, international relief and development issues, the social and development role of faith groups;
- Experienced in project cycle management, institutional grant proposal writing and monitoring;
- Excellent English-language skills;
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, CRM and other data base programs. Proficient in use of internet and email;
- Ability and willingness to travel at short notice to country programs to provide surge capacity, support and expertise for up to 16 weeks a year.
- Competence in a second language, such as Spanish, French, Swahili, or Arabic.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org