The Senior Coordinator, Humanitarian Operations provides support to the people-surge function, and manages the daily operational support of the Department of Humanitarian Response (DHR). This position also provides primary executive assistant (EA) support to the Vice President, DHR.
The Senior Coordinator will support in the administrative management of the Emergency Health Unit (EHU) and support the transition of Humanitarian Surge Team (HST) to the Global Humanitarian Surge Platform (GHSP) as well as assist in the maintenance of the Global Humanitarian Register (GHR) schemes.
The Senior Coordinator is responsible for the daily activities associated with the department’s administration, operational support, facilities, asset inventory, and support for international emergencies.
What You’ll Be Doing (Essential Duties)
Humanitarian Surge Coordination and Support (50%)
Project Management Support to the Emergency Health Unit – 30%
- Support the management of the deployment process of EHU staff into an international response. This includes but is not limited to;
- Support in identifying appropriate deployment opportunities for EHU team members;
- Liaising with country offices, Save the Children UK (SCUK), and Save the Children International (SCI) to support the process of negotiation in terms and conditions of specific deployments; finalize deployment details and share with relevant parties, draft for review and finalize secondment agreements.
- Ensuring EHU members are fully prepared for deployment; ensure they have met travel (visa), health and safety and security requirements, have verified travel arrangements in place and coordinate additional logistics with country office as needed.
- Regularly checking in with EHU and line managers to ensure deployment is going well and to address any issues.
- Review EHU end of deployment requirements, including performance report. Review performance report and share with line managers.
- Support the budget management and maintenance of the EHU Master budget, analyze spend perform financial forecasting for the EHU scheme, and closely monitor the budget against changing projected and actual expenses.
- Support the maintenance of the Save the Children US (SCUS) deployment database, which manages deployment reporting, invoicing and cost recovery of the scheme.
- Coordinate improvement of administrative processes, procedures and tools used for the EHU scheme to ensure improved efficiency, effectiveness and the best support possible to EHU; establish or refine ways of working with SCUK and Emergency Health & Nutrition (EHN) team.
- Support the facilitation of monthly EHU meeting, briefing senior members of DHR and EHN on progress and challenges related to the EHU project; including financial, HR and operational updates
Project Management Support for General Surge – 20%
- Provide administrative support for the HST transition to the GHSP
- Responsible for timesheet and record keeping of HSTs and EHU, and support the monthly invoicing process
- Ensure knowledge management of Surge for SCUS, SCI and internal and external communications through dashboards, brown bags and other communication
- Support in managing the Global Humanitarian Register (GHR), including:
- Identifying and sharing deployment opportunities with SCUS GHR members; advise on available staff for deployment opportunities to response senior management and SCI.
- Support the GHR application and renewal process for Agency employees, this includes;
- Support the Surge Manager in the internal SCUS application process including application, review and notification stages
- Support the review and finalize SCUS GHR applications for submission to SCI
Executive Assistant to the Vice President, DHR – 30%
- Provide executive assistant support to the VP, DHR including meeting and scheduling support, arranging domestic and international travel, submitting expense reports, and preparing pre-departure briefing materials.
DHR Administrative Support – 20%
- Provide administrative and logistical support to DHR Team, including meeting support, preparation of materials, presentations and other activities as needed. Organize meetings, workshops, and presentations.
- Draft and write internal communications and external correspondence.
- Responsible for procurement and set-up of any needed office supplies and equipment including those for internationally deployed staff.
- Execute consultancy/staff secondment agreements for DHR team (non-HRP). Draft all needed visa letters for staff and assist with visa processing. Facilitate communication and information sharing between DHR, and other departments, SCI/SC Members, and Country Offices in support of planning and emergency response processes.
- Provide general administrative support for staff. Process internal paperwork with HR, and serve as point person for posting UltiPro requisitions for vacant positions. Develop, in collaboration with hiring managers, change of status forms as needed. Coordinate with hiring managers on new staff/interns to ensure all pre-arrival and onboarding arrangements are prepared, including office space, equipment etc.
- 3-4 years of work experience.
- High School diploma or equivalent required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Highly organized; strong attention to detail
- Ability to work and organize self, prioritize work independently, and multi-task
- Experience tracking budgets;
- Proven data management
- Proven problem solver and ability to prioritize in a fast paced and often high pressure work environment
- Adaptability and flexibility to manage shifting priorities and deadlines
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and discretion on operational matters related to functional area and to escalate matters as needed
- Strong command of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.);
- Ability to travel domestically or internationally as needed
- Experience in non-profit humanitarian sector is desired with proven interest in international affairs, development, or humanitarian response
- Report writing/editing skills
- Language skills in French, Spanish, or Arabic;
- Experience or knowledge working and living in relevant regions/contexts either through past work, study abroad, etc.
- Experience with data analysis and data visualization
- Operation experience, such as working with financial systems and/or logistics
- Experience working with multi-cultural teams, remote management and working effectively across time zones
- Ability to build effective relationships within their immediate or peer workgroup and to work collaboratively across teams
What’s In It for You
- Aetna Medical and Dental insurance with a concierge service
- Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- Vision Insurance
- Life insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Commuter Benefit Program
- Vacation and Sick leave
- Paid holidays
What makes us special!
- Generous Retirement Savings with matching company contributions of up to 8%
- Family Leave – 10 additional days of paid time off for you to use to care for your family members
- Additional Maternity and Paternity Leave – 30 days where parents can take additional paid leave (beyond short-term disability and FMLA) at the birth or adoption of a child during that critical first year!
- Critical Child Illness Leave – We hope you never have to use it, but we will provide an additional 30 days of paid leave per year should your dependent child be faced with a critical illness.
- Pet Insurance, Critical Illness Insurance, Identity Protection, Home, Auto and additional Life insurances
- Summer Fun Fridays – During the summer months, early release at 1:30 pm every other Friday!
- Volunteer Day – One paid day a year to support the causes that matter to you!
- Ergonomic Options – Every employee at our HQ offices has the option of a sitting/standing desk
- Leadership and Employee Development Training, including:
- Our remarkable in-house CORE, Senior Management Development, and Leadership Development Programs
- Language learning opportunities
- Continuous Improvement skill development programs
- Brown Bag information sharing sessions
- Work hard/Play hard! We make sure there’s ample opportunity for fun, engagement, and celebration while you work, such as networking events, March Madness, World Cup, Dodgeball Tournaments, Take Your Child to Work Day, Founder’s Day, and our annual Day of Service
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org