Founded in 1981, the Committee to Protect Journalists is an independent, non-profit organization defending journalists worldwide without regard to their political ideology. Through its work to safeguard journalists, CPJ protects the rights of all people to have access to diverse and independent sources of information.
The Committee to Protect Journalists is seeking a Research Associate for its Europe and Central Asia (ECA) Program to work in its New York office. This is exempt full-time position. The Program Research Associate works under the direct supervision of the Europe and Central Asia Program Coordinator to closely monitor, research, report and document attacks on the press in a diverse region where freedom of expression constantly faces new challenges.
The ideal candidate will have passion for and knowledge of press freedom and human rights issues in the ECA region. Strong research and writing skills, and the ability to work independently and proactively as well as in collaboration with other team members, are required. Journalism experience is required. Strong oral and written communication skills in English are essential. Fluency in at least one regional language, preferably Slavic, is required. Previous experience using social media for work is highly desirable.
• Conducting daily writing, research and reporting in English.
• Monitoring breaking news and events affecting press freedom and journalists in the ECA region and flagging them to ECA Program Coordinator in a timely manner.
• Conducting interviews in English and other language(s)
• Documenting press freedom violations in the ECA region.
• Working with the ECA Program Coordinator on regional advocacy efforts.
• Working collaboratively with ECA correspondents in the region and program interns.
• Maintaining the ECA program's Twitter and Facebook account, maintaining and expanding the ECA program's regional network of contacts.
• Working collaboratively with CPJ's Journalist Assistance Program to help distressed journalists from the ECA region.
In addition, the ECA Research Associate is encouraged to contribute articles on regional press freedom issues to CPJ's blog and to write such pieces for outside publications.
• Monitor, document and respond to press freedom abuses in the region.
• Communicate regularly with journalists and human rights activists in the region.
• Research and write news alerts, letters of appeal, special reports and blog posts.
• Assist with planning and implementing of CPJ's advocacy efforts.
• Maintain the program's social media accounts.
• Help document and vet Journalist Assistance cases for the region.
• Assist program coordinator with miscellaneous administrative tasks, such as impact reports and program plans.
• A Bachelor's degree or higher in journalism, international affairs, or a related field
• Understanding of press freedom issues in the context of Europe, Central Asia and Turkey.
• Regional experience is an asset.
• Proven skills in writing accurately and succinctly
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Please e-mail a resume, cover letter, and three references. Please include "ECA Program Research Associate" in the subject line. Please also include a 500-word personal statement on why you consider press freedom to be important.
Due to volume, we cannot reply to individual inquiries on the status of applications. If you are selected as a candidate, CPJ will contact you directly to arrange an interview. No phone calls please.
CPJ is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org