The Senior Political Officer shall support the Head of Mission through provision of policy guidance and analysis on political and legal matters, collaborate with relevant stakeholders and partners in the formulation of joint strategies and maintain effective diplomatic liaisons with a view of cultivating strategic relationships.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of Head of Mission (Permanent Representative of AU to the UN), the incumbent shall perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Proactively identify and report on relevant political developments
- Advise on strategic matters to enhance impact and influence of the African group at the United Nations
- Support and manage the activities of the African Group including facilitation and coordination of the Group in advancing Africa’s priorities aimed at promoting common African positions;
- Advise and support the African Group Candidatures Committee to ensure effective elections of Africans in UN Organs/bodies
- Support and facilitate AU inputs and interventions in UN Security Council debates/decisions’
- Monitor and follow-up on implementation of UN System-wide strategic partnership with the African Union;
- Advise on strategies to enhance the African Union’s global Voice and representation
- Prepare, speeches, talking points, memos, briefing notes for meetings and other correspondences for the Permanent Representative
- Prepares summaries of articles from various sources and draft a variety of related correspondences
- Liaise as appropriate with other sections of the mission as required and under direction of the Permanent Representative
- Building, maintaining and sharing a broad network of political contacts relevant to the missions work
- Performs any other related duties as assigned
Qualification and work experience required:
- University Masters Degree or equivalent in Social Sciences, Political Science, Law, International Relations, International Economics, Security Studies, Public Administration or other related fields combined with a minimum requirement of seven (7) years relevant work experience, out of which three (3) should be at supervisory level OR
- A first-level University Degree (Bachelor) in the above fields, in combination with ten (10) years relevant work experience out of which five (5) years should be at supervisory level.
- Work experience in public international organizations, diplomatic missions and similar institutions will be an advantage.
Other Relevant Skills:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Sound planning and organizational skills
- Ability to negotiate diplomatically
- Excellent ability to work in multicultural environment
- Excellent oral and written skills
- Ability to delegate the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision making authority with regard to performance management and professional development
- Ability to demonstrate leadership competencies including but not limited to strategic insight, developing others, change management and management of risk;
- Ability to guide relationship with a wide network of internal and external contacts, foster accountability culture, anticipate obstacles realistically and plan for contingencies, create plans that factor in time for unexpected problems and uncertainties;
- Ability to demonstrate a learning orientation, communicate with influence and drive for results;
- Proficiency in one of the African Union working languages, proficiency of two or more in other of one or several other working language(s) would be an added advantage.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org