The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) strengthens democracy around the globe through private enterprise and market-oriented reform. CIPE is one of the four core institutes of the National Endowment for Democracy. Since 1983, CIPE has worked with business leaders, policy makers, and civil society to build institutions vital to a democratic society. CIPE’s key program areas include: Enterprise Ecosystems, Democratic Governance, Business Advocacy, , Anti-Corruption & Ethics, and Trade.
Position: Program Officer, North Africa, MENA
Reports to: Senior Program Officer, MENA
CIPE is seeking a full-time, Washington, D.C. based Program Officer, North Africa, in the Middle East North Africa (MENA) department. As part of a team reporting to the Senior Program Officer (SPO) and Reginal Director this position is responsible for providing for managing implementation of CIPE’s projects in North Africa.
Manage implementation of projects in North Africa
- Develop, or help civic society partners develop, tools for tracking execution and progress towards project objectives.
- Monitor project implementation to ensure activities occur as planned and achieve intended impact.
- Review partner documents, tools and outputs, and provide constructive feedback to help strengthen their quality and content.
- Maintain close contact with CIPE civil society partners to help them succeed in their chosen activities and fulfill their grant obligations.
- Travel to the field to consult partners in person and attend key events.
- Support the planning and delivery of technical support to build local partner capacity.
- Identify opportunities for growth and collaboration among projects, and foster cross-project communication and learning among local partners.
- Help ensure project success stories are communicated to key CIPE audiences.
- Manage ongoing data collection by CIPE and grantees. Write clear and well-structured reports and evaluations per NED and other donor requirements.
- Collaborate with multiple CIPE departments to achieve programmatic goals, including Communications, Grants and Finance, Knowledge Management, and other regional teams
Contribute to new projects and partnerships
- Extend the team’s network of contacts by attending meetings and events pertinent to North Africa.
- Develop and strengthen relationships with donor agencies and organizations in Tunis, Washington, and internationally.
- Monitor trends and identify opportunities for collaboration and/or funding.
- Provide guidance to help civil society partners develop project concepts and proposals.
- Work with the entire Maghreb team to develop new project ideas and draft concept notes and proposals.
Contribute to development of strategies for CIPE in North Africa
- Keep up to date on regional and country contexts and continuously build knowledge of regional and topical issues pertinent to the region.
- Consult with regional and topical experts, CIPE civil society partners and other stakeholders to help identify regional strategies and strategic priorities for the portfolio.
- Cooperate with, and exercise leadership of, CIPE MENA staff to contribute to development of CIPE’s overall strategy for MENA.
- Bachelor’s degree in one the following fields is required: International Relations, International Business, Economic Development, or Public Policy
- Master’s degree, or the equivalent experience, in International Relations, International Business, Economic Development, or Public Policy is preferred
- Minimum five years professional experience with international assistance programs
- Fluency in written and spoken French is required; candidates will be required to complete a written French language assessment
- Knowledge of Arabic helpful
- Fluent English writing and verbal skills
- Demonstrated strong critical thinking and analytical skills
- Ability to work in a team environment, as well as independently
- Strong project management skills and ability to manage junior staff
- Demonstrated ability to develop, establish and maintain good relationships with international partners and donors
- Good financial acumen and ability to develop, manage, and monitor project budgets
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience working with civil society organizations and familiarity with aspects of organizational capacity
- Familiarity with the Middle East and North Africa strongly preferred
- Attention to detail and ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Strong skills in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Must be willing and able to travel multiple times per year for extended periods.
To apply for this opportunity, please send a resume or CV and cover letter, English writing sample and salary history to [email protected]; subject “PONA-[YOURLASTNAME]”.
There is a two-page limit on writing samples. Submissions demonstrating writer’s ability to synthesize information are preferred. Applications submitted without writing samples will not be considered.
Applications will be accepted and interviews will be conducted on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
CIPE offers a salary competitive with other international non-governmental organizations and an excellent benefits package. Applicants must be legally able to work in the United States; CIPE is unable to sponsor employees for work visas.
Hiring for this position is contingent on approval by project donor.
CIPE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.