Duties and Responsibilities
Lead on substantive research and analysis:
- Undertake research and analysis of global and regional trends, gaps, challenges in addressing gender equality issues related to women’s health, with a focus on sexual, reproductive, maternal, newborn, and child health, as well as HIV/AIDS;
- Prepare technical guidance notes and briefing papers to support policy and programming that responds to addressing the impact of gender inequality on women’s health, including areas related to sexual, reproductive and maternal health; and HIV/AIDS,
- Undertake research and prepare analysis related to multiple and intersecting inequalities that influence women’s health and well-being and the influences of social and structural determinants of health, across sectors including WASH, energy, education; etc.
Lead advocacy and communications activities:
- Develop advocacy messaging and briefing notes related to women’s health focused on the role of gender equality and women’s empowerment in health; emphasizing the areas of sexual, reproductive, maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health; and HIV/AIDS drawing on operational research and evidence as well as results and lessons learned from country and regional programming.
- Lead on ongoing communication and exchange between UN Women HQ, regions and countries undertaking programming and policy efforts related to gender equality and women’s health;
- Provide substantive support to the effective implementation of communications strategies particularly related to gender equality in the area of women’s health;
- Coordinate UN Women’s engagement in global and regional conferences and meetings relevant to gender, health, and HIV/AIDS; and represent UN Women at key global and regional venues where experiences related gender dimensions of health, as well as HIV, can be highlighted and influential.
Provide programme development and technical support:
- Provide technical support to countries as needed and requested for programme development and actions on gender dimensions of women’s health;
- Provide oversight, close guidance and direction to ensure strategic focus, result orientation and effectiveness and efficiency of the overall programming on a) women’s health; and b) HIV/AIDS;
- Provide expert review and advice to country plans and programmes related to integrating gender equality within national health strategies focused on women’s health, including sexual, reproductive, maternal health; leadership in the area of women’s health; governance of the health sector; and financing of health responses from a gender- responsive perspective; with a view to promoting gender-responsive strategies;
Provide partnerships and resource mobilization support:
- Provide backstopping and liaison support on UN inter-agency related efforts such as UNAIDS, H6, and the Global Action Plan on Health and Well-being, including representing UN Women in key UN inter-agency working groups within the H6 partnership (including metrics and monitoring and evaluation);
- Lead on partnership development and strengthening networks amongst relevant institutions, practitioners and experts addressing gender equality dimensions of women’s health in order to ensure optimal strategic alliances for UN Women; including the Every Woman, Every Child initiative, the Partnership on Maternal and Newborn Health, and others relevant to UN Women’s work on women’s health.
- Develop and maintain strategic partnerships with other UN agencies, donors, NGOs, the private sector, scientific institutions etc., to support the development of global strategies and initiatives related to women’s health and gender equality including through joint programming;
- Lead the process of preparation, design, submission and approval of global programming frameworks, and fully-fledged proposals for resource mobilization, including support to the development of country project concept notes, on gender dimensions of women’s health, including on sexual, reproductive, maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health (SRMNCAH)
- Lead on the development and implementation, monitoring and periodic updating of a resource mobilization strategy for women’s health;
- Provide technical support to country offices/multi-country offices and programme presences in mobilizing resources for the implementation of programming on women’s health, including SRMNCAH, and HIV/AIDS.
Lead on knowledge management, reporting, and learning support:
- Lead the process of identifying and synthesizing of good/promising practices and lessons learned from programming on gender dimensions of women’s health, in collaboration with UN Women country and regional offices, and develop plans for their dissemination;
- Lead and establish a community of practice on gender equality and women’s health with key experts, partners, and UN Women country and regional offices;
- Promote the use of knowledge management mechanisms to share information on the gender dimensions of women’s health including through corporate websites, newsletters, and other avenues, in collaboration with Communications teams;
- Coordinate timely delivery of high quality programme and financial reporting to donors, inter-governmental processes, and inter-agency partnerships through effective results-based management;
- Provide substantive and technical inputs to internal reporting exercises and products relating to women’s health efforts, specifically in relation to sexual, reproductive, maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health; and HIV/AIDS.
Key Performance Expectations:
- Quality reports, policy briefs, briefing and advocacy notes;
- Quality partnerships and networks strengthened;
- Quality and timely advice and support to Regional and Country offices, and other teams in HQ;
- Quality knowledge products and systems developed for documenting and disseminating successful practices and key results achieved.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
- Ability to formulate, implement, monitor and evaluate development programmes and projects;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice and support;
- Ability to draft policy papers and briefs;
- Knowledge of women’s health and HIV/AIDS;
- Excellent research and analytical skills;
- Ability to establish and maintain broad strategic networks and partnerships with UN agencies and other international partners to promote partnerships and build alliances to advance organizational interests and competencies.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in public health or a related field with specializations on gender equality issues/women’s rights, HIV/AIDS.
- A minimum of 7 years of relevant experience in development work, with a particular focus on gender equality and women’s empowerment, prior experience working on gender equality in health and HIV/AIDS will be an asset.
- Experience in programme development, policy analysis, knowledge management, and resource mobilization.
- Excellent written and spoken English;
- Working ability in another UN language is an asset.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org