Halifax International Security Forum is seeking a Program Officer to work in its Washington, DC office. Halifax International Security Forum is a multifaceted organization dedicated to achieving lasting security and peace by strengthening strategic cooperation among democracies through close dialogue between the world’s key leaders and influencers. As an independent, non-partisan, non-profit organization, Halifax International Security Forum conducts a variety of expanding programs with the aim of addressing today’s most pressing security threats. Halifax’s programming includes its eponymous flagship event, Halifax International Security Forum, the world’s premiere foreign affairs and defense conference; Halifax Peace With Women Fellowship; John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service; and “Pete and Steve’s The World”, a podcast.
The Program Officer is a full-time permanent staff position that reports directly to the Program Director, and is responsible for supporting the overall coordination, development, and management of the Halifax Peace With Women Fellowship.
The Fellowship is a three-week leadership program for senior active-duty female military officers from allied countries. Along with the Program Director, the Program Officer will accompany the Fellows on their tour of cities across the United States and Canada in late October and to its conclusion at the annual Halifax International Security Forum in late November in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
S/he will assist in all aspects of the Fellowship preparations including program curriculum and content development, call for applications, candidate selection process, fundraising, communications, logistics, evaluation, and more.
This position provides the opportunity to interact with a diverse array of individuals in a professional capacity, including vendors, government and military partners, and non-governmental organizations.
As a member of a small organization, the Program Officer will contribute to other organizational initiatives as needed.
Responsibilities will include:
- Coordinates administrative support for the recruitment and selection process of Fellows;
- Researches opportunities for program fundraising;
- Supports the management of relations and liaisons with Fellowship candidates, final Fellows, and key stakeholders across different sectors;
- Supports the production of printed Fellowship materials, including coordination with graphic designer and printers;
- Supports the development and management of content for organization’s website, database, and other social media platforms;
- Supports the Program Director’s external relations initiatives at the Halifax International Security Forum;
- Coordinates program logistics including air and ground transportation, accommodations, meals, and other aspects to ensure efficiency and participant comfort;
- Follows current events relevant to global security and to women and security in order to contribute to the development of the program curriculum and content;
- Takes advance trips to program sites as needed and supports on-site implementation of all events during the 3-week Fellowship in October and November;
- Contributes to the overall evaluation of the program;
- Contributes to the development and participation in a network of program alumnae;
- Contributes to organizational development as needed;
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in International Relations, Political Science or a related field;
- At least 2 years program coordination or event planning experience, preferably working on academic or international programs or in the field of women, security, and military;
- Strong oral and written communication skills to effectively present information and respond to questions;
- Must be able to interact and communicate with individuals at all levels of the organization with courtesy, responsiveness, and thoughtfulness;
- Must be able to travel throughout the year for recruiting and site visits and for 4 weeks during the Fellowship across the United States and Canada and attend the Forum in Halifax;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Capacity to work both independently and as a member of a team;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Strong networking skills;
- Ability to effectively prioritize;
- A strong working knowledge of a variety of computer applications, including Apple software and Microsoft Office
How to apply
Please submit one PDF including a cover letter, resume, 1-2 references and a 1-2 page writing sample by email to applications @ halifaxtheforum.org. Enter “Peace With Women Fellowship” in the subject line. Only complete applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.