The UNDP internship equips interns with the skills and experience required to advance the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and make a positive difference in the world.
The intern will make active and lasting contributions to UNDP’s roll-out of the Acceleration Labs, with a focus on providing support to global learning, the provision of advisory services to partners and clients in programme countries and by undertaking research, comparative studies and capturing lessons.
Based in the Executive Office in New York, the intern will report to the Team Leader of the Accelerator Lab Network.
During their assignments, interns benefit from the guidance of experienced UNDP staff members and are actively involved in supporting the design and implementation of UNDP’s programs within UNDP’s headquarters, regional or country offices.
UNDP is building the largest and fastest learning global network of Accelerator Labs (initially setting up 60 labs in 60 countries) embedded within UNDP’s global architecture and country platforms. The new offering builds on the latest thinking from the fields of complexity science, lead user innovation and collective intelligence to accelerate development impact.
The network of Accelerator Labs will surface and reinforce locally sourced solutions at scale while mobilizing a wide and dynamic partnership of actors contributing knowledge, resources and experience. The idea is to transform our collective approach by introducing new protocols, backed by evidence and practice, which accelerate the testing and dissemination of solutions within and across countries. This will enable the global community to collectively learn from local knowledge and ingenuity at a speed and at a scale that our societies and planet require.
The Accelerator Lab will undertake i) external facing interventions addressing priority development challenges, and ii) internally facing experiments to embed new ways of doing development within the existing UNDP portfolio.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Team Leader, and together with the Network Support Hub, the intern will be responsible for the following:
Knowledge management and communications function of the Acceleration Lab Network
- Conduct and compile research on emerging lessons from UNDP’s network of Acceleration Labs and partners
- Collect, analyze and compile data and lessons from UNDP Country Offices to share salient insights with the global team, clients in Country Offices and Labs, and external partners
- Conduct and support research on emerging ways of implementation and evaluation in Acceleration Labs and among other UNDP innovation initiatives
Curation of Accelerator Lab learning
- Advise on the feasibility of the use of new software to increase the speak of learning among the Accelerator Labs.
- Support knowledge management and exchange channels for the global Acceleration Lab network and partners
- Support outreach to change makers in the field of innovation and expand partnership base for UNDP and the Acceleration Lab network
- Support advisory services on innovation to UNDP Country Offices and Acceleration Labs including the design of relevant learning and training materials.
- Support in the overall organization of boot camps (immersive learning experience to practice innovation) for 60 Accelerator Labs globally, including curation of content, target audience and facilitators, development of program/agenda and communication with participants
- Support the core project management functions including the coordination of Project Board meetings, development of relevant briefing materials and project progress reports.
- Assist in managing database of partners.
- Support operational affairs of the project including procurement, partnership formalization and financial management.
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UNDP
- Strong English language skills (oral and written)
- Proven understanding of international development and multilateralism, particularly the UN
- Demonstrates strong computer skills and ability to produce information visually
- Excellent analytical and data handling capability
- Ability for problem-solving, multi-tasking, meet deadlines and work under pressure, strong follow-up skills
- Good understanding and experience in current knowledge management technologies
- Ability to work as part of a team in a constantly evolving work environment
- Excellent organizational, general administration, time management skills
Required Skills and Experience
- Enrollment in graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent or higher)
- Enrollment in the final academic year of a university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent)
- A university degree (as defined above within one year of graduation)
- NOTE: The internship must start within one year of graduation.
- Relevant national/international experience in development, international relations, finance/economics, political science, management, communications, business consulting, knowledge management or related field.
- Written and oral fluency in English
- Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is a strong advantage
- Knowledge of other UN languages is an asset
- desirable education, languages and work experience:
- Long-term commitment to international development is an asset;
- Knowledge of the UN system is an asset.
- UNDP may accept interns provided the following conditions are met:
- Interns are not financially remunerated by UNDP.
- The costs associated must be borne by the nominating institution, related institution or government, which may provide the required financial assistance to its students; or by the student, who will have to obtain financing for subsistence and make his or her own arrangements for travel, accommodation, visa, etc.
- UNDP accepts no responsibility for the medical and life insurance of the intern or costs arising from accidents and illness incurred during an internship.
In addition, selected candidate will need to:
- Have a valid visa to work in the US
- Proof of medical and life/accident insurance valid for the location in which the internship will be carried out (i.e. New York, USA).
- Provide a Medical Certificate of Good Health from a recognized physician
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org