Unique opportunity to be a part of a newly created humanitarian response unit. This role will be instrumental in creating technical guidelines and tools, utilizing research capabilities of FHI 360 in a humanitarian context, and exploring innovative ways to respond to emergencies.
Provides technical oversight in the design, implementation, and monitoring of humanitarian programming in health, including reproductive health and community health. Provides technical advice based upon expertise and knowledge of evidence-based methods and strategies, current practice, and established operational and research standards to ensure quality and rigorous design. Builds capacity in country-level, regional or global program staff. Assesses current technical, scientific, managerial and operational efficiencies at the program, regional, or global levels as appropriate. Provides guidance to ensure that program implementation adheres to appropriate technical standards and guidelines and that programs are technically sound. May evaluate proposal design and protocol development to ensure design is sound and based upon evidence-based practice. Provides global scientific leadership by staying current of evolving technical standards, guidelines, and program developments in area of expertise. Responsible for sharing best practices in their field of expertise and contribute to the knowledge base through participation in scientific forums and technical networks. Shares new knowledge/evidence and best practices through collaboration with relevant departments and personnel. May be required to coordinate and work with a diverse group of organizations, such as; the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare (MOHSW), district health staff, several international and national development partner organizations, and the USAID mission to complete work.
- Provide leadership in strengthening an effective, coordinated, integrated high quality and timely emergency health response (which could include primary health, community health, reproductive health, nutrition, and outbreak responses). Technical oversight in design, development, planning, and implementation, including capacity building of specific technical components;
- Identify health-staffing needs (both national and international) for emergency programs, and ensure rapid recruitment, induction and training of new staff;
- Ensure high quality and timely integrated health assessments of the humanitarian needs and provide prioritized recommendations for program interventions to the Response Coordinator;
- Design program responses and strategy, including geographic areas of intervention, in coordination with internal and external actors;
- Draft technical proposals and budgets for international donors, working in close collaboration with FHI 360 grants and finance staff to finalize proposals and respond to any requests for additional information;
- Manage program officers and administrative associates in supporting grant/program implementation including staff recruitment and training, workplan development, procurement and inventory planning, and budget management;
- Prepare high quality and timely donor and management reports on grants and sector activities;
- Select and implement appropriate monitoring and evaluation systems; ensure consistent reporting and analysis of results to enhance program effectiveness and quality;
- Ensure compliance with FHI 360 policy and procedures throughout the program team and activities;
- Represent and coordinate with other agencies, local government, donors and other stakeholders to promote deliver of best practice humanitarian assistance;
- Provide a comprehensive handover to successor, including ensuring transfer of all related documentation, program monitoring data and staff performance information
- Maintains a constructive dialogue and technical exchange with field counterparts and technical staff of implementing partners;
- Develops tools for the design and implementation of specific technical components;
- Ensures that project implementation adheres to the appropriate global strategy and remains technically sound;
- May serve as a departmental resource on procedural, administrative and operational issues;
- Ensures appropriate and timely technical support to field programs;
- Ensures the quality of implemented technical activities and systems at all levels;
- Conducts routine coordination with employees and consultants, on-site and in the field. Strong knowledge and skills in specific technical area/function and general understanding of concepts and principles of related technical areas/functions. Solid knowledge of standards for the technical area/field, operational processes and procedures, work and task flow. Ability to manage own work to job and performance standards;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- In-depth functional knowledge in area of specialization and detailed knowledge of related areas in the organization;
- General understanding of the external environment and how it affects the industry in general and FHI in particular, including political, legal, environmental, financial and social influences;
- General understanding of organization’s structure, policies and practices, and the impact on own area;
- Strong diagnostic, analytical and problem solving skills;
- Ability to exchange information, present recommendations and collaborate with colleagues and peers within the organization and possibly externally;
- Ability to influence others of the benefits/importance of an idea or plan of action and to gain their support or commitment;
- Strong negotiation skills and ability to reach mutual points of agreement and benefit among peers and colleagues.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Is sought out to provide advice or solutions in area of technical area;
- Demonstrates ability to assess needs within agreed upon duties and considers course of action best to meet those needs;
- Effectively applies knowledge of technical area to solve range of problems;
- Demonstrates ability to develop solutions to problems that cannot be solved using existing methods or approaches;
- Faulty decisions/ recommendations /failures to complete assignments will normally result in serious delays to assigned programs resulting in considerable expenditure of additional time, resources and funds;
- Decisions and actions impact primarily work flow, project processes and timeframes. Problems encountered are generally varied, requiring review of practices and precedents to resolve;
- Problem solving involves evaluating and resolving discrepancies with data, analyses, processes, etc. within prescribed guidelines.
- Coordinates own work flow and sets individual priorities;
- Works under general guidelines for completion and accuracy as determined by the supervisor;
- Accomplishes results through lower level staff managers or through experienced staff who exercise independence in their assignments.
- Master’s Degree or its International Equivalent in Knowledge/Information Services, Communications, Education, Environment, Health, Behavioral, Life/Social Sciences International Development, Human Development or Related Field;
- Health professional (MD, RN with MPH) with strong public health background preferred.
- Typically requires 8-11 years of experience in education, health, behavioral, or social sciences or related field;
- Strong background in implementing and managing emergency health programs in developing countries and/or refugee settings;
- Experience with design, implementation, and technical oversight over nutrition programming highly desirable;
- Background in health assessments and program implementation; including strong knowledge and experience with coordination;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent program management, project planning, budget management and organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills;
- Ability to write clear and concise reports and meet required reporting deadlines;
- Ability to work in basic living conditions, and under administrative and programmatic pressures;
- Excellent English (written and verbal).
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org