The Excellence in Breeding Platform (www.excellenceinbreeding.org) is a new cross-commodity platform that supports the modernization of breeding programs targeting Africa, Asia, and Latin America for greater impact on food and nutrition security, climate change adaptation and development.
The platform is part of the new CGIAR portfolio of research programs and platforms (www.cgiar.org/our-strategy), and being led by the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries (www.cimmyt.org .
The position will be based at CIMMYT’s main campus, 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
Support and advise the EiB Director in his communications and outreach with external audiences, including:
o Being responsible for the EiB technical and 'marketing' annual reports.
o Being responsible for the content of the EiB website.
o Being responsible for developing Toolbox material jointly with Module Leaders.
o Being responsible for the EiB bi-monthly Newsletter
- Contribute to the strategy for achieving EiB vision.
- Lead development of communication strategy as part of the overall strategy for achieving EiB vision. Grasp EiB’s strategy for achieving its vision; understand the key messages that need to be delivered to key stakeholders to achieve this vision and support the director and module leaders to most effectively deliver these complex messages.
- Liaise with Centers Communications Departments to exploit existing relationships with journalists, publications, and key players in agricultural development circles to foster a positive perception of EiB among diverse CGIAR and external audiences.
- Helping to develop and update EIB communication assets such as brochures, PowerPoint presentations, and key messages.
- Managing EiB's social media efforts (Facebook, other).
- Collect and analyze web, social media and other statistics to provide support for strategy decisions regarding EiB’s communications.
- Identify, document, produce and help leverage compelling success stories and positive reports about EiB’s work for diverse audiences and formats.
- Edit technical publications such as journal articles, working papers, project reports, funding proposals and training materials.
- Conduct media relations, including assistance to journalists for interviews and taking part in media campaigns.
- Provide messages and presentations for EiB management, meeting reports, other internal documents.
- Ensure complete Toolbox implementation, including forum-based content submission and review process, and provide ongoing design support.
- Create, modify and/or edit Toolbox material as requested by Module Leaders.
- Additional duties as assigned per the supervisor.
- Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- A Master’s degree in Journalism, English, International Affairs or other relevant areas, with at least 4 years of experience, with a track record of communicating science and running successful communications campaigns. A Bachelor’s degree will be accepted if complemented by substantive, longer work experience.
- Ability to communicate complex messages for stakeholders to support EiB mission.
- Ability to communicate complex research results in a concise and engaging fashion, both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to write clean, engaging copy, including op-eds, stories, articles and reports of highest quality on deadline.
- Ability to build new relationships with existing contacts at major media outlets.
- A keen understanding of traditional and digital media and newsworthiness.
- Ability to convince reporters to cover an issue or event.
- Experience of proactively using social media and developing websites to engage with the media and secure press coverage.
- Ability to work effectively with a high degree of independence; excellent interpersonal skills to build effective working relationships in a multicultural and multidisciplinary environment.
Commitment to EiB’s mission.
Background knowledge in economics, agriculture, science or global health strongly preferred.
The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Communication, Innovation and Creativity, Achievement
Orientation, Relationship Management, Flexibility/Adaptability, Decision Making, Pro-activity and Multi-Cultural
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org