The MFAN Executive Director is a leader with a vision and passion for more effective U.S. foreign assistance and with strong skills in alliance building, fundraising, management, and policy to spearhead that charge. The Executive Director mobilizes MFAN’s high-level, dynamic network and small but powerful staff in order to translate policy ideas into action.
Responsibilities and Tasks
1)Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with MFAN’s Executive Committee, Co-Chairs and staff to ensure that MFAN is a thought-leader and policy driver through programs, strategic initiatives, published content, and advocacy.
- Responsible for maintaining and growing MFAN’s influence and strong track-record of results in foreign aid reform.
- Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that MFAN can successfully fulfill its mission of foreign aid reform into the future.
- Responsible for enhancing MFAN’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with coalition members and outside organizations.
- Responsible for building short and long-term advocacy strategies to continue MFAN’s strong track record of foreign aid effectiveness understanding and action.
2) Financial Performance and Fundraising: Develops and manages resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- In partnership with the fiscal sponsor, is responsible for the fiscal integrity of MFAN, including developing budget and reporting proposed budgets and monthly financial statements to the Co-Chairs and quarterly to the Executive Committee, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the coalition.
- Responsible for fundraising, including identifying and stewarding new donor relationships, as well as scoping and developing an appropriately diversified and stable resource base necessary to support MFAN’s mission.
- Responsible for regularly engaging current funders and advising them of MFAN’s policy advocacy and other related activities.
- Responsible for fiscal management that anticipates operating within the approved budget.
3)Network Management and Stakeholder Engagement: Works with Executive Committee, other community members, and policy stakeholders in order to advance MFAN’s results-oriented policy agenda.
- Responsible for leading MFAN in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Executive Committee and Co-Chairs.
- Responsible for maintaining effective collaboration among network members and leading the translation of coalition ideas into concrete policy positions, products, and influence.
- Responsible for furthering MFAN’s influence and policy positions on Capitol Hill and within the executive branch.
4)Organization Operations. Oversees and manages resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
- Responsible for effective administration of MFAN operations, including managing MFAN's core staff on day-to-day basis.
- Responsible for identifying and attracting competent, qualified staff.
- Responsible for facilitating contract and consultant agreements.
- Leads day-to-day planning and management to operationalize MFAN policy goals.
- Bachelor’s degree; relevant Master’s degree preferred
- Transparent and high integrity leadership
- Management track record/experience in a nonprofit setting and a strong background in international policy and advocacy leadership experience strongly preferred. This includes demonstrated capacity in budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting; personnel management skills, including experience guiding and mentoring small teams
- At least 5-7 years of experience working on international development issues, including work experience in the Executive Branch or Congress
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to nonprofit sector; fundraising experience strongly preferred
- Ability to interface and engage diverse coalition members in order to drive a coherent, results-oriented policy agenda
- Comfortable serving as external representative, thought leader, and stakeholder facilitator
- Candidate should be agile, energetic, and have a sense of humor
Please send a resume, cover letter, and 2-3 references to [email protected].
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org