Director will supervise WHQR’s news coverage. The Assistant News Director will determine News Department policy in light of the station’s overall mission, and ensure that news offerings reflect the highest standards of audio production, journalistic ethics and public service using NPR’s best practices as a model. By coaching, diligent Together with the News Director and Station Manager, the Assistant News supervision and hands-on examples, the Assistant News Director will ensure that WHQR's standards of content and integrated NPR-style reporting are met. The Assistant News Director will serve as the primary Morning Edition Host for WHQR Public Media.
WHQR Public Media offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits; a talented, hard-working and fun group of station colleagues; a large, growing, dedicated audience; and a great place to live and work. Wilmington, NC has a small town feel, but with all of the attractions, activities and culture of a larger city. Rivaling both Charleston and Savannah in its charm and history, downtown Wilmington is less than 10 miles from some of the best beaches in the southeast. If you are looking to join a growing newsroom of award-winning journalists, then WHQR Public Media is the place for you! Under the supervision of the News Director, the Assistant News Director will demonstrate impeccable organizational skills, sound news judgment, and a solid grasp of journalism ethics and editorial decision-making. In the crucial role of weekday news anchor and host of Morning Edition, the Assistant News Director will assist with setting the overall tone for WHQR Public Media.
• Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or Communications and/or equivalent experience necessary.
• Good people skills, with previous supervisory experience preferred.
• Excellent verbal and written skills, with previous anchoring/hosting experience required. Morning Edition hosting experience desirable.
• Experience in radio production, preferably in a public media environment.
• Demonstrated skills in interviewing, audio editing software, and writing for broadcast and digital media.
• Strong sense of ethical standards and the value of public service media.
• Willingness to work flexible hours as needed.
This is a full-time, exempt, salaried position with benefits as determined for WHQR employees by Board policy. WHQR/Friends of Public Radio is an Equal Opportunity Employer. To apply, send electronic versions of cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for 3 references, plus an air check sample – 3 to 5 minutes in length to: [email protected]
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org