Do you want to make a difference?
The Canadian Red Cross (CRC), a non-profit, humanitarian organization dedicated to helping Canadians, as well as the most vulnerable throughout the world, is currently seeking an experienced Finance Delegate for its Strengthening Maternal, Newborn and Child Health project that is being implemented in Mali from 2016 to 2020.
Reporting to the Mali Country Representative, the Finance Delegate will be mainly responsible to lead the finance function for the Canadian Red Cross (CRC) Delegation in Mali, which include timely reporting of financial activities in accordance with the policies, procedures, format and frequency required by CRC. The Finance Delegate will provide the country operation and delegation with professional finance and budgetary support and advice. S/he will be responsible for the compliance of financial transactions with the policies and procedures established by CRC for the implementation of the program, including monitoring and auditing functions for the CRC delegation. While there is local staff working on accounting functions, the Finance Delegate will need to verify transactions, review the capacity of the local staff and determine whether capacity strengthening is required to ensure accurate financial management.
S/he will be responsible for liaising with the Finance department of the Mali Red Cross (Croix-Rouge Malienne, CRM) and will be coordinating with the Finance department of the CRC in Ottawa, verifying field financial reports (from the Mali RC and CRC Delegation) and fund requests for submission to the CRC Program Management.
In coordination with the Country Representative, s/he will contribute to provision of support to the national society to ensure timely, cost-efficient and robust logistical support (forecasting procurement, stock management and supply of medical and non-medical items, transport and fleet management, energy and electricity, ITC, office and team accommodation, minor construction and rehabilitation, etc.) to program activities, rigorously implementing existing Canadian Red Cross Society (CRCS) National Office logistics policies, developing local logistics procedures and building technical capacity of national staff.
S/he will be responsible for liaising with logistics representatives of the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) in West Africa, liaising with the Logistics department of the CRCS in Ottawa, and the Logistics department of the Mali Red Cross (Croix-rouge Malienne, CRM).
The delegate will work towards the achievement of National Red Cross /Red Crescent Society goals in the country through effective managerial and lateral relations and teamwork. He/she will uphold the Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross / Red Crescent movement and comply with the Code of Conduct and policies.
Lead the finance and accounting function in the following areas:
- Budgeting, accounting and financial reporting;
- Systems development and integration;
- Developing relationships with Mali Red Cross Society as well as other RC/RC Movement partners in Mali;
- Project costing and analyses;
- Advising the Country Representative and other staff of the CRC on financial and administrative matters;
- Implementing and managing internal control policies and procedures;
- Working capital management;
- Compiling, validating and reconciling all monthly & quarterly financial reports for Headquarters.
- Contribute to the follow up of logistics tasks that include controlling, monitoring and reporting of ongoing logistics activities in support of the CRCS in Mali.
- Manage the funds and financial systems of the MNCH Project in Mali (70%):
- Manage all financial aspects of an operation with an annual budget of approximately CAD 5 million;
- Interpret terms and conditions of Contribution Agreement to be applied to financial management and reporting;
- Manage recording of financial transactions in accordance with the funder (GAC) requirements and CRC policies and procedures.
- Ensure timesheets are completed by both CRC Delegates and local staff;
- Manage fixed assets list;
- Manage cash flow and cost control measures;
- Manage the payments, cashier and bank signatory;
- Develop, in collaboration with the CRM, accurate financial reporting systems for the MNCH Project and ensure consistent use and maintenance of finance systems;
- Compile accurate, regular and timely financial and narrative reports for the CRC Delegation;
- Ensure accurate accounting, authorisation & internal control procedures;
- Facilitate the organisation of the internal review or an audit, should needs arise
- Closely work and support Malian Red Cross Finance personnel and the delegation Administrative Assistant
- Investigate and address significant variances.
- Maintain constant communication with the Finance counterpart at CRC National Office for feedback and validation of transactions charged to the project.
- Capacity Building (10%):
- Assess CRM capacity gaps in finance and provide support in addressing them;
- Identify training needs for the CRM MNCH project local staff on financial management and compliance;
- Develop a capacity building plan in finance for the relevant CRM staff;
- Train, support and advise the CRM in the development of its financial and administrative systems;
- Provide regular mentoring and accompaniment to the CRM Finance Team;
- Train, support and advise CRC delegates in financial and administrative matters.
- Logistics (20%):
- Closely monitor the procurement of goods and services on behalf of the delegation, ensuring that documentation meets CRC procurement and full audit standards., Oversee and provide advice on the negotiation of contracts required by the delegation for goods and services.
- In collaboration with CRCS Logistics department and the Country Representative supports Malian Red Cross to procure pharmaceuticals, medical supplies and materials, for the Maternal Newborn and Child Health project (including international procurement and related importation/customs process) on behalf of the delegation and in accordance with international, local and GAC’s standards;
- Ensure that the medical supplies are properly managed and stored (according the national and regional WHO standards).
- Maintain inventory of all goods and services and maintain all documents to full audit standards (delegation)
- Ensure the continuous improvement of logistics tools, systems, and resources for the highest efficiency of the CRCS delegation, in accordance with CRC Logistics guidelines and standard practices.
- Closely work and support Malian Red Cross 2 logistics assistants, 1 Medical logistician and the delegation Administrative Assistant.
- Produce accurate narrative procurement reports related to the MNCH project procurement plan.
- Maintain and update a supplier’s register for regularly purchased goods and services and cultivate/nurture working relationships with the suppliers.
Key Working Relationships
Internal: Canadian Red Cross Society (Bamako and Ottawa)
External: Mali Red Cross Society, other RC/RC Movement partners working in Mali, such as International
Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and Participating National Societies based in Mali.
This is an unaccompanied position based in Bamako, Mali. Mali suffers from lack of basic infrastructure and social services and more than half of the population lives in poverty. Legal frameworks and institutions to enforce the rule of law are largely undeveloped. Political conflicts, terrorism, kidnapping in different parts of the country especially in the North are threats to foreigners and some travel restrictions apply. Delegates are obligated to follow the Red Cross Movement security regulations.
CRCS supports a safe working environment and comfortable accommodation; however, as in all contexts, delegates must be aware and responsible for their personal safety and that of employees under their supervision.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance and/or Accounting;
- Professional certification in Accounting strongly preferred;
- Minimum of 5 years relevant work experience in Financial Accounting and Reporting, with experience in a management role;
- Experience and demonstrated competency in the management of resources with experience in core functions of logistics such as procurement.
- Experience in developing a finance system from inception, including monitoring and auditing functions, is an asset.
- Experience with Red Cross / Red Crescent accounting system strongly preferred;
- Previous international work experience in a developing country preferred;
- Excellent oral and written skills in French and English. Language testing will be administered;
- Demonstrated experience in mentoring managers and staff in Finance policies, systems, and procedures;
- Demonstrated experience in the development and implementation of financial/accounting systems;
- Strong commitment to the Principles of the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement;
- Strong initiative, diplomacy, flexibility, and sound decision-making skills are required;
- Demonstrated experience in staff supervision, management, and development;
- Demonstrated experience in capacity building
Interested parties may submit their application by applying Here or on the Canadian Red Cross Online Career Website by May 15th, 2019 midnight EST.
The Canadian Red Cross is committed to diversity and inclusion in our workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We welcome applications from all applicants particularly Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, visible minorities, and others who may contribute to diversification and share our values.
Please notify us as soon as possible of any adaptive measures you might require at any stage of the recruitment process.