The Managing Editor is responsible for all editorial aspects of the language service's daily operations, ensuring that service journalists deliver high-quality, impactful, innovative and editorially sound content that is on time, factually accurate, impartial, balanced, moderate, and non-polemical in tone. The incumbent is responsible for planning and implementing content on all platforms for language service. He/She also works closely with Service Director on day-to-day production, making sure content adheres to RFE/RL’s Professional Code and industry standards.
Acts for the Service Director in his/her absence.
This position is located in Prague, Czech Republic.
- Together with Service Director, sets daily news agenda. Supports and provides daily editorial guidance to the team focusing on a given country. Ensures proper news balance. Establishes editorial style guides and ensures adherence to professional and corporate standards.
- Coordinates closely with Service Director on day-to-day production to ensure activities are running according to schedule and efficient use of people power.
- Supervises the work of content producers to ensure that finished products are of high quality, balanced, carefully edited, and ready for air.
- Looks far ahead on the calendar for coverage opportunities. Coordinates with Service Director on coverage strategies. Hosts daily editorial meetings and weekly look-ahead meetings.
- Coordinates with HR, Administration, and Service Director to ensure timely processing of payments, evaluations, and other forms of compensation for staffers and freelancers in the field. Arranges interns, interviews potential job talent and industry professionals to determine their fit for a position.
- Together with Service Director, ensures that all projects involving staff remain within budget.
- Informs digital partners of any change in production or new content offerings.
- Together with Service Director ensures usage of proper graphic and brand use over digital platforms.
- Together with Service Director, works compatibly with RFE/RL language services, bureaus, and VOA to ensure efficient sharing and distribution of content.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- University degree in journalism or related field or the equivalent in experience is strongly preferred.
- Experience working in a daily newsroom (8 years);
- Previous experience working in a multicultural or a multinational environment; or experience living and working abroad, preferably in relevant RFE/RL target regions.
- Professional journalism experience including management experience, which includes budgeting, managing staff, and organizing work processes, mentoring and team-building in a fast-paced, multicultural environment. (8 years)
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills;
- Communicates clearly and effectively;
- Capable of building a team;
- Exhibits strong problem-solving skills;
- Exhibits familiarity with industry standards;
- Broad, thorough and detailed knowledge of political, economic, and social situations in the broadcast area as well as international affairs acquired through studies, research, writing, travel, or other relevant experience or exposure;
- Demonstrates knowledge of current media market trends;
- Manages funds effectively to support a project;
- Exhibits ability to think both creatively and analytically;
- Possesses excellent time management and multi-tasking skills;
- Is willing and able to travel for work-related events;
- Knowledge of new technological developments in media, desirable;
- Possesses broad knowledge of television/video production, desirable.
- Broadcast service language at native level (Mandatory);
- English language fluency is mandatory.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org