The European Chamber of Commerce in Myanmar (EuroCham) is the principle advocacy voice of the European business community in Myanmar. It serves as the voice of European business in Myanmar, advocating member interests in Myanmar, the ASEAN region the EU, and promoting access for European SMEs into Myanmar.
EuroCham Myanmar, co-funded by the European Union, was formally launched in Yangon in December 2014 by the French Myanmar Chamber and EUROCHAMBRES. The creation of a European Chamber of Commerce in Myanmar reinforces the mutually beneficial relationship between the EU and Myanmar.
As Myanmar seeks to reenter the world community, there is no better time and opportunity for the European business community to invest in one of the fastest growing economies in the world. With a strong growing network of partner organisations in Myanmar and the ASEAN region, EuroCham seeks to offer on the ground assistance to European businesses interested in commercial endeavors in Myanmar – be it in the form of advocacy, services, studies, or other related activities.
Reporting to: Chairman and Board of Directors
Management: Team of 25 people located in Yangon and Nay Pwi Taw
Job Summary: The Executive Director is responsible for the day-to-day operational management of EuroCham and for the formulation and the implementation of the sustainability goals driven by the Board of Directors.
Location: Yangon, with regular travel within Myanmar (Naypyidaw), Asia and Europe
Contract Term: 1 year contract, renewable, upon successful completion of a 3 months probation period.
Key Working Relationships:
- Internal: EuroCham employees, EuroCham Board of Directors, EuroCham Advocacy Groups;
- External: EuroCham members, Myanmar central and local authorities, the European Delegation to Myanmar, EU Commission and Parliament, stakeholders in the region and in Europe, UMFCCI, bilateral European Chambers, local and international media.
- Be responsible for the organisation’s overall financial management and budget planning, control and management;
- Achievement of revenue and cost targets to ensure long term financial sustainability of EuroCham;
- Overall supervision of 4 core activity areas of EuroCham: Membership, Advocacy, Events and Information/Communication/PR;
- Provide input on long-term planning and initiatives geared toward operational excellence;
- Continuously increase the effectiveness and efficiency of internal administration processes;
- Facilitate the communication and coordination amongst different departments internally and with a multitude of stakeholders externally;
- Ensure regular management reporting to the Board of Directors;
- Identifying and implementing new projects in line with EUD rules to grow financial sustainability;
- Negotiate contracts with suppliers and service partners;
- Development of individual budgets for key projects and initiatives (EuroCham Myanmar Responsible Business Initiative/EMRBI);
- HR management, talent development, employee engagement and recruiting;
- Ensure advertisement income growth through different EuroCham communication platforms (e.g. EuroMatters Magazine);
- Ensure relationships and reporting with the European Union Delegation for the smooth implementation of the ICI+ program;
- Contribute to the elaboration of a strategic development plan with the view of preparing EuroCham post ICI+ transition;
- Achieve operational objectives by contributing information and recommendations to strategic plans and reviews; Organise the Annual General Meeting of the chamber and conduct board elections;
- Maintain legal integrity of the chamber;
- Propose, implement and control overall EuroCham annual budget and long-range forecast of needs;
- Work closely with the treasurer, accounting manager/service provider and the appointed auditor in monitoring EuroCham’s finances.
MANAGEMENT OF THE ICI+ GRANT
The ED should supervise and ensure the implementation of the activities required and the reporting to the grant lead applicant and donor. This includes more specifically:
- Ensure compliance with the requirements linked to a EU-funded program: rules, expenditures, audit, visibility, communication…etc.;
- Ensure the smooth implementation of the ICI+ budget until the end of the program;
- Prepare the annual ICI+ report budget and request the annual installment.
SPECIFIC ACTIVITIES INCLUDE but are not limited to:
- Drive membership and sponsorship growth and engagement;
- Ensure delivery and development of member services;
- Develop and supervise effective membership programs and services.
- Ensure the continuity and the implementation of EuroCham advocacy activities including:
- Supervise the coordination of Advocacy Groups;
- Publication of the White Book and follow up on policy responses.
- Inform the EU Delegation (DG Trade) and the EU Member States Embassies on the contents of the Advocacy actions and conduct joint advocacy actions when needed.
- Ensure the timely delivery of EuroCham ongoing quality services to clients;
- Assure a continuation and constant improvisation of services with the view of ensuring EuroCham future financial sustainability. Create and manage innovative services to third parties in order to increase revenues European, ASEAN and International network development;
- Expand the network for the chamber with organisations like Eurochambres, EBOWWN, UN, Worldbank, ILO and others;
- Coordinate possible future EuroCham activities regarding the EU-Myanmar EBA related private sector consultation meetings, the EU-Myanmar Investment Protection Agreement and other relevant trade treaty development requiring European private-sector input;
- Promote actively cooperation and collaboration with other bilateral European Chambers (MoUs, joint events…).
Communication and Marketing:
- Maintain effective internal and external public relations and serve as spokesperson for the chamber with all stakeholders, in conjunction with the chairman and Board of Directors;
- Develop and maintain an effective communication strategy that is responsive to the needs of all stakeholders (Members, National and European Chambers, European Union…).
Education and Training Background:
- Masters or similar graduate degree;
- Knowledge of advocacy, government and political stakeholder management;
- Experience in organisational effectiveness and operations management;
- Management experience in a multi-national environment.
- Minimum 7 years of relevant work experience;
- Demonstrable project management experience.
- A track record of successfully leading and coordinating cross-cultural and multi-disciplinary teams;
- P&L responsibility;
- HR responsibility.
- Ability to build effective working relationships with high-level stakeholders in government and business is essential. A current network of contacts with senior Myanmar civil servants, ministries and business organisations, the European diplomatic corps and international business community in Myanmar is highly desirable;
- A strong background in private-sector engagement is essential, and a knowledge of the Myanmar business environment is a distinct advantage;
- Strong leadership skills are essential, as is the ability to manage competing priorities and deliver multiple projects to tight deadlines while working under pressure;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work under pressure;
- Good negotiation skills;
- Constructive problem solving approach and patience and calm in pressured situations;
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (written and verbal) are essential, as are strong drafting skills to prepare accurate and impactful communications that meet diplomatic communication protocol standards;
- Good budgetary control;
- Flexibility is required;
- Languages: Fluent written and spoken English (good knowledge of another European language is an advantage);
- Software and IT Skills: Good computer skills with Microsoft Office Tools, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint are required. Computer skills with management software, database software and website software are preferred.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Strong network development in the business community and top level government circles in Myanmar with relevant stakeholders across many sectors;
- Insights into international trade policies and economic diplomacy;
- Competitive compensation package;
- A cross-cultural and multi-disciplinary professional working environment.
Please send your application (including your CV, cover letter, 2 references and expected salary) by Friday 14th June 2019 COB.
Candidatures to be addressed to Mr. David Levrat, EuroCham Myanmar Chairman with email subject “EuroCham Myanmar Executive Director Application”.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org