Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-HABITAT), is the agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. This post is located in UN-HABITAT, Regional Office for Arab States (ROAS), at Baghdad duty station. Under the overall guidance of the Chief, Technical Advisor/Programme Manager, UN-HABITAT, Iraq Programme the incumbent will perform the following functions:
Project Management and Implementation:
- Ensure effective and efficient execution of UN-HABITAT projects and management of the project resources through resource mobilization activities, technical guidance, quality, cost control and ensure support of the project resources as per approved project document and substantive work plan; Coordinate overall work plans and budgets; Prepare relevant documentation and reports related to projects; Initiate recruitment of human resources; Liaise with partners to ensure quality and timely delivery of UN-HABITAT's projects and programmes.
Technical Assistance, Advisory Services and Outreach:
- Review and analyze issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies to develop policies; Technical Assistance: Provide technical assistance and implementation support to the government of Iraq, project partners and key stakeholders to ensure successful implementation of projects and programmes; Build regional capacity for improved management. Conduct training workshops and seminars; make presentations to local institutions and government; Provide quality technical input into project activities as well as to national institutions in line with Strategic Framework and the relevant thematic area.
Representation and Liaising with key stakeholders:
- Manage, develop and maintain close working relationships with relevant national and international partners, stakeholders, and other UN Agencies in the duty station; Promote and coordinate active participation of Project Offices in the relevant Strategic Framework; Coordinate the implementation and monitoring of the UN-HABITAT country programme documents; Support/stimulate the inter-divisional cooperation at country level through the enhanced normative operational frameworks.
Perform other related duties as may be assigned.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Strong conceptual skills. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery in the UN-HABITAT focus areas of Urban Planning and Design, Housing and Slum Upgrading; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team short comings.
- PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in engineering, project management, business administration urban planning, architecture or a related field. A first university degree with a combination of two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced degree.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of working experience in the areas related to human settlements, project or programme management and/or development, including at least three at the international level is required. Experience in post conflict areas is an added advantage. Experience in managing a team or an office, resource mobilization and donor coordination is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position fluency in oral and written English is required. Fluency in Arabic Language will be an advantage.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org