The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance - International IDEA is an intergovernmental organization that supports sustainable democracy worldwide. International IDEA’s mission is to support sustainable democratic change by providing comparative knowledge, and assisting in democratic reform, and influencing policies and politics.
International IDEA acts as a catalyst for democracy building; by providing knowledge resources, policy proposals and supporting democratic reforms in response to specific national requests. It works together with policy makers, governments, UN organizations and agencies and regional organizations engaged in the field of democracy building.
International IDEA develops, shares and enables the use of comparative knowledge in its key areas of expertise: electoral processes,constitution building,political participation and representation, democracy and development and democracy assessments.
It also addresses the important issues of gender, diversity, and conflict and security as they relate to democracy.
International IDEA is based in Stockholm, Sweden, and works worldwide through offices in New York, Brussels, The Hague, Latin America, Africa and Asia.
International IDEA supports inclusive, democratic elections through capacity assistance to the Union Election Commission (UEC), political parties, civil society, media and other democratic stakeholders. This position is a key part of the Support to Electoral Processes and Democracy (STEP Democracy) project, funded by the European Union.
In the STEP Democracy programme, International IDEA, as the lead implementing organization, works with four national and four international partners to implement the programme’s mission to contribute to a greater awareness of, and adherence to, democratic values and principles and increased inclusive participation in democratic practices.
STEP Democracy is looking for a Senior Programme Manager with expertise in electoral assistance and advising electoral management bodies. S/he will strategically lead International IDEA's growing electoral programe in Myanmar within the Union Election Commission (UEC), based in the capital city of Nay Pyi Taw. The incumbent will have extensive experience in working with Election Management Bodies, election reform processes and stakeholder relations. S/he will provide intellectual leadership to a team of local staff and visiting consultants who will work directly with the UEC on behalf of International IDEA. Key to the role is the incumbent's ability to build relationships with the UEC, international implementers within the UEC, and implementing partners and more broadly, with the election support community in Myanmar.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Analyses the electoral framework, provides comparative research on best practices from the region and provides recommendations for electoral reform based on the international standards;
- Provides a diagnostic on the current procedures and drafts recommendations to improve the practices of the UEC, using comparative research and best practice from the region;
- Develops a training plan to support credible electoral management;
- Establishes an Electoral Risk Management Framework within the UEC and facilitates the training of the electoral staff;
- Supports the UEC on increasing transparency and develops strategies for communication, candidate nomination procedures, campaign finance and advance voting processes;
- Supports the implementation of the UEC’s strategic plan, and contributes to the preparedness of the UEC for the 2020 elections;
- Leads and manages a team of International IDEA staff, ensures relevant capacity and identifies areas for professional development in order to achieve project goals;
- Leads the creation of ongoing analysis on electoral management and reform issues for International IDEA, the European Union, governance committees and provides advice on strategic direction;
- Contributes to the development of communications material; produces reports, and develops content for the International IDEA website and on social media;
- Actively builds and consolidates relevant strategic partnerships and professional networks with key actors and stakeholders in the electoral field;
- Ensures an integrated approach to election support within the STEP Democracy program in coordination with the Programme Manager-STEP Democracy and the Head of Myanmar Programme;
- Conceptualizes, plans and facilitates relevant meetings, e.g consultations between Political Parties, civil society and the UEC;
- Ensures oversight of project funds in accordance with EU and International IDEA regulations;
- Monitors and evaluates the project activities in accordance with Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) plan, and provides timely project related progress reports to partner organizations and donors.
- Combines in-depth knowledge, acquired through post-graduate academic achievements, excellent skills including managerial skills and relevant experience in their field;
- Contributes to the development of functional strategy; Leads projects to achieve milestones and objectives;
- Leads assigned projects with authority throughout the project life cycle, i.e. from strategic planning and project design, funding and budgeting to project assessment and accountability; leads meetings and discussions, oversees publications and input from external providers;
- Contributes to publications; is recognized as an expert in his/her broad professional community;
- Has the intellectual leadership to integrate innovation into his/her field of expertise;
- Leads a team of contributors to the project, including staff members and consultants;
- Fosters team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute;
- Acts as a model and mentor for colleagues;
- Is expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Anticipates internal challenges and issues and recommends process improvements;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Head of Myanmar Programme.
- Has excellent knowledge and extensive work experience in electoral assistance and advice, combined with excellent understanding of related disciplines in order to approach programmatic activities in a holistic manner.
Operational Knowledge, skills and experience
- Electoral assistance expertise, specifically within electoral risk management, election law reform and stakeholder relations; Solid experience in an advisory role to Electoral Management Bodies (EMB's);
- Integrates a results-based approach into the design, management and evaluation of all his/her programmatic activities;
- Has thorough understanding of relevant programmatic issues in the key geographical zone where his/her work is implemented;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management;
- Understands and manages the budget and planning of his/her project(s).
- Leads a multi-talented team, sets team priorities and manages resources;
- Acts as a model and resource for colleagues.
- Will solve complex challenges, approach issues with new perspectives, and analyze situations from a multitude of intervening factors.
- Has a clear impact on the programme development and delivery;
- Will also impact other teams and projects in related fields.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Liaises permanently to all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her project; acts and is perceived as an initiator of relevant communication to solve issues;
- Drives projects and assignments through communicative personal energy and engagement;
- Can explain sensitive information with diplomacy, and build consensus;
- Can present his/her activities and represent International IDEA effectively in all professional circles;
- Fluency in English, written and spoken; Any other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region (Arabic, French, Spanish) would be considered an asset.
Education and Experience
- University degree in International Law, International Relations, Political Science, Peace and Development, Public Administration, Social Sciences or a related discipline;
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant experience in the implementation of programmes in the field of electoral support, specifically experience in working with Election Management Bodies, electoral risk management, election law reform and stakeholder relations and the provision of expert advice in the field of elections;
- A minimum of 5 years’ solid experience in project management and the management of teams;
- Experience in the South-East Asia region, preferably within Myanmar is required;
- Experience within the areas of conflict, security, democracy and governance, will be considered an asset;
- Experience working with the EU is desirable.
Terms of Contract
Contract duration: Fixed term appointment until 30 November 2021.
EUR 6, 817 NET + benefits.
Applying for this position
- Applications should be submitted online no later than 30 June 2019. Please note that all applications must be made in English;
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org