Founded in 1981, the Committee to Protect Journalists is an independent, non-profit organization defending journalists worldwide without regard to their political ideology. Through its work to safeguard journalists, CPJ protects the rights of all people to have access to diverse and independent sources of information.
The Committee to Protect Journalists is seeking a highly motivated and detail-oriented individual to fill the position of Audience Engagement Associate at CPJ's digital team in New York. The team is tasked with distributing CPJ's digital content on social media platforms, engaging and growing CPJ audiences, tracking web analytics, taking initiatives and seizing opportunities for growth on both email and platforms, among other tasks.
You are passionate about press freedom, social media, and journalism. You love distilling ideas into 280-character sentences, crafting engaging Instagram stories, and have a knack for tracing a trending story to its source. You know that "2019" cannot be a Twitter hashtag, can easily update a Twitter moment, and know what does "r/news" mean.
You're also proactive and wake up thinking about how you would create the next trending topic that could help set a journalist free or highlight their case
- Work with the digital team to execute CPJ's digital and engagement strategies and ensure that staff is properly trained in the use of digital and social media tools
- Develop, maintain, and grow CPJ followers and drive engagement on major social platforms
- Disseminate CPJ content--including data, daily news, special reports, video, and audio--on social media platforms in accordance with the digital strategy and advocacy campaign objectives
- Create and disseminate social media-specific content tailored for each platform based on CPJ content
- Contribute to the development and implementation of social media standards and best practices
- Reply to social media inquiries on social platforms and tactically react to trending topics
- Ensure that individual campaigns, initiatives, and reports have a robust digital component
- Own CPJ's weekly newsletter, The Torch, and contribute to the growth of its subscribers
- Oversee CPJ's regional social media accounts and email blasts, and train program colleagues on best practices
- Coordinate integration of contacts database, email blasting, and newsletters with support from the appropriate departments
- Leverage content and social media presence in support of fundraising
- Grow CPJ's social presence on emerging platforms as needed
- Track CPJ's website traffic, social media performance and email newsletters according to chosen metrics
- Continuously innovate to ensure that CPJ uses the best and most appropriate digital tools available. Evolve and adapt as required to meet the organization's goals as well as campaigns' goals
Required skills and experience
- Knowledge of social media in news dissemination, campaigning, fundraising, audience building, coverage of live events, social listening, and engagement
- Sound judgment and an ability to react quickly and accurately to breaking news stories in press freedom
- An understanding of how to cultivate, grow and engage social media followers on a variety of platforms
- A basic understanding of digital security methods and trends
- A collaborative spirit and an ability to balance competing demands from a variety of departments and programs
- Knowledge of or demonstrable interest in international affairs
- A passion for press freedom, and eagerness to spread CPJ mission as widely as possible
- Prior experience with digital and/or engagement teams in an NGO or a newsroom
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Familiarity with AP style
- An experience managing social accounts with big following
- A second language, preferably Spanish or French
This is a full-time, exempt position. Benefits include employer paid health, dental, 401(k), life, and long-term disability insurance.
CPJ is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Start Date: Immediate
Salary: Competitive based on experience
Please email a cover letter, résumé, and references and include "Audience Engagement Associate" in the subject line.
No phone calls, please. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted
Position open until is filled
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org