FIDH is an international non-governmental organisation based in Paris whose mission is to promote respect for the principles enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. FIDH federates 184 national human rights associations active across the five continents.
FIDH works, through its Brussels-based delegation and its documentation and advocacy activities, to ensure that the European Union supports human rights, reforms its policies, better measures their impact, creates appropriate protection mechanisms and uses its levers to advance respect for and protection of human rights on the international scene and in its partner countries. In this context, FIDH works in particular to engage with the European Union and to facilitate meetings between its member leagues and the various European institutions.
Under the direct hierarchical responsibility of the FIDH Representative to the EU and the supervision of the Director of Advocacy (DOIG), he or she has the following duties and responsibilities:
Implement the delegation's activities
- Monitor EU developments and news as well as developments relating to the EU's relations with third countries;
- Inform FIDH's geographical and thematic desks of opportunities for advocacy and progress;
- Organise the participation of FIDH member or partner NGOs to advocacy meetings with relevant stakeholders within the Brussels-based EU institutions (update contact lists, organise meetings, prepare meetings with EU representatives, draft targeted position papers based on information from FIDH and its member and partner organisations, contribute to the elaboration of terms of reference, welcome human rights defenders, assist in the preparation of advocacy documents);
- Accompany human rights defenders in their representation activities with international organisations and institutions present in Brussels;
- Participate in the formulation of recommendations to be addressed to the EU institutions, provide useful information to the EU institutions in order to contribute to statements in favour of human rights;
- Participate in the promotion of the delegation's activities (via communication tools and in collaboration with FIDH’s Communication Department);
- Monitor the impact of the Brussels delegation's activities;
- Participate in the reporting of activities, the updating of monitoring tables, advocacy tables, activity reports, etc.
Facilitate interaction with internal and external stakeholders
- Contribute to the sharing of information with FIDH’s geographical and thematic desks and the other delegations on the delegation's strategies and activities;
- Support good communication to and from FIDH member and partner organisations who are in contact with the delegation in order to strengthen links with them;
- Contribute to a fluid flow of information to the members of FIDH's governance bodies;
- Contribute to the development of strategic partnerships with Brussels-based NGOs.
Contribute to the daily administrative and logistical tasks of the delegation
Participate in the training and support of interns
- Master degree in law, international relations, human rights, political science, 3 years' professional experience in a similar position;
- Excellent working experience and knowledge of the institutions and policies of the European Union;
- Excellent knowledge of the international and European legal framework relating to human rights, and the challenges of strengthening them;
- Ability to analyse human rights and EU issues and develop advocacy strategies;
- Ability to produce clear, convincing and concise presentations, research papers, position papers and documents;
- Commitment to human rights and commitment to valuing the work of grassroots actors;
- Interpersonal skills, teamwork, participation in the collective coordination of work, motivation and motivation of others;
- Fluency in French and English. Spanish is an asset.
Contract: permanent - full-time - start date 1st of October 2019
Application deadline: 28th of June 2019
Salary: monthly gross salary between 3000 and 3200 euros according to experience
Please send your CV and a covering letter indicating the job reference (FIDH Delegate to the European Union) in the subject line of your email to the following address.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org