Halifax International Security Forum is dedicated to strengthening strategic cooperation among democracies. Now in its tenth year, the flagship Forum is well-established as North America’s foremost international security event and the leading gathering of democratic leaders committed to global security and prosperity. Each November, the Forum convenes democratic leaders, military officials, top business executives, and issue experts from across the globe in an unscripted, intimate atmosphere in Halifax, Nova Scotia to discuss emerging security trends and develop solutions to the world’s most pressing security challenges.
The Event Manager is responsible for the strategic development, management, and execution of the organization’s annual Forum in Halifax, Nova Scotia. S/he develops and executes strategies to promote the organization’s brand through events; maintains relationships with key stakeholders and funders; and plays a direct role in the development and execution of new organizational programs.
The Event Manager supervises one Program Officer and one Program Associate, indirectly supervises three interns, and reports directly to the President.
• Manages, oversees, and executes all aspects of the annual November Forum;
• Tracks and maintains the overall timeline for the Forum, ensuring all deadlines are met;
• Maintains relationships with Forum stakeholders, funders, and key organizational partners;
• Leads the selection process and management of all Forum vendors;
• Leads Forum coordination calls and in-person meetings with stakeholders and vendors;
• Manages the Forum budget and tracks expenditures, ensuring all vendor agreements and costs are within budget;
• Coordinates and conducts post-Forum evaluations to assess impact, identify areas for progress, and implement recommendations for improvement;
• Maintains the organization’s brand and leads efforts to promote the brand through events;
• Cultivates relationships with external partners to generate new ideas and opportunities for events and collaboration;
• Supports the organization’s fundraising efforts by cultivating donor relationships, developing strategies for donor stewardship, creating fundraising collateral and other promotional materials, and identifying and researching prospective donors;
• Supports the organization’s communications, PR, and social media efforts through strategy development and the management of the Forum’s communications teams;
• Maintains the organization’s website, digital presence, and printed collateral;
• Contributes to the development and execution of organizational priorities and strategies;
• Other duties as assigned
• At least 5 years of event planning or project management experience, preferably in the non-profit space;
• Knowledge of and interest in international security, foreign affairs, and defense issues;
• Highly organized with keen attention to detail and a demonstrated creative approach to developing impactful events programming;
• Strong oral and written communication skills to effectively present information and think proactively;
• Ability to work well both independently and as a member of a team;
• Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and effectively prioritize;
• Experience dealing with and managing high-level principals;
• Strong networking skills; and
• A strong working knowledge of a variety of computer applications, including Apple software, Microsoft Office, and social media platforms. Experience with Salesforce and WordPress a plus.
How to apply
Please submit one PDF including a cover letter, resume, and 2-3 references by email to [email protected] Enter “Event Manager” in the subject line. Only complete applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.