Transparentem is a non-profit organization whose mission is to spur transparency and accelerate ethical behavior in important global industries. We work to achieve that mission by identifying and investigating endemic human and environmental abuses upstream in manufacturing supply chains.
We are seeking an exceptional person to play a critical leadership role as Vice President of Strategic Engagement. As a member of the small management team, this Vice President will help shape Transparentem in the years ahead. The Strategic Engagement team advocates for worker- and community-focused remediation strategies to companies, as well as broader actions that can eradicate worst abuses across tiers of industry. The team develops these recommendations by conducting both desk-based research and by consulting with local and international labor and environmental experts, unions, and government agencies. This work will require regular international and domestic travel.
The candidate who fills this position will have a strong understanding of human and environmental abuses in manufacturing supply chains and will:
- Deliver Transparentem’s initial reports to their initial recipients—the brands and retailers who source from the investigated facilities—and to the disclosure recipients, which include boards of directors, investors, international regulators, multi-stakeholder initiatives, advocacy organizations, and select journalists.
- Direct Transparentem’s remediation strategy, including identifying best practices to address abuses, vetting potential remediation partners, benchmarking brand responses, and maintaining ongoing dialogue with report recipients as they work through remediation.
- Oversee Transparentem’s communications strategy, in partnership with the President.
- Serve as a member of the management team, reporting to our President, alongside the VPs of Investigations, Operations, and Finance. The management team is collectively responsible for guiding the strategic development of the organization, making critical organizational decisions, reporting to the Board of Directors, and providing overall oversight for Transparentem and its work.
- Be willing to travel domestically and internationally in order to carry out the above areas of work.
What we’re looking for
We are looking for individuals with:
- At least 10 years of experience working on supply-chain issues. The candidate will ideally have experience working in Asia and familiarity with the apparel industry.
- An understanding of issues facing workers and communities throughout supply chains, from final manufacturing facilities to raw material production, and of the role of the private sector in promoting human rights and sustainable development;
- Familiarity with best practices that corporations sourcing globally must adopt to ensure protection of workers’ rights, support for decent working conditions, and development of ethical supply chains;
- Experience managing teams in a fast-paced environment (additional experience managing remote team members preferred);
- Comfort with public speaking, speaking truth to power, and negotiation;
- Passionate interest in corporate accountability;
- Knowledge of ongoing efforts to use business strategies to create social impact, as undertaken by labor rights groups, multi-stakeholder initiatives (MSIs), industry associations, non-profit organizations;
- Creative thinking on strategies for collaboration between companies, governments, and NGOs to improve industry practices as a result of specific Transparentem investigations;
- Fluency in English;
- Excellent writing and editing skills;
- An advanced degree in supply chain management, business administration, human rights, law, journalism, or other relevant field preferred;
- U.S. work authorization required.
The role reports to the President.
Transparentem is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and encourage all interested candidates to apply. Please apply directly on our website, www.transparentem.com/position-openings/
Start Date: Immediate
Compensation: Competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience.
Location: Brooklyn, NY or Washington, DC