Africa Region Office of the Regional Director
The Africa (AFR) region currently consists of Operational Hubs (a cluster of neighboring countries) in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Senegal, Ethiopia, Ghana, Tunisia and Kenya, and 2 major Country offices Somalia and South Sudan.
Located in Copenhagen, Denmark, the Office of the Regional Director (RD) for Africa (AFR) manages a geographically defined portfolio of engagements, including leading strategy and business development for the region, overseeing management of operations, and ensuring appropriate risk management.
Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the Regional Director’s office focusing on achievement of the following points:
1. Administrative support
- Provide accurate solutions for travel purposes and ensure the appropriate procurement of visas;
- Monitor Africa Region personnel missions schedule;
- Monitor Africa Region personnel missions schedule via Regional Location List (held on intranet) and follow up on the timely provision of travel reports and quarterly travel plans from the Operation Hub/Operation Centre/ Project Centre
- Liaise with HQ Admin team for all protocol issues in the Regional Director’s office, particularly in relation to the request of visas
- Organize regular and ad-hoc meetings; prepare minutes and summaries of actions to be taken; track progress on planned issues; follow-up with focal points;
- Monitor and facilitate Regional Director’s approval for all documents received from Africa Region Hub/Operation Centre offices; Compile reports and administrative documentation;
- Provide accurate and timely information on processes and pending issues to the concerned individuals/unit.
- Management of the Regional Director’s office, ensuring an environment of professionalism and teamwork at all times, and setting exemplary standards of conduct for the office team;
2. Operational support
- Support the Regional Director's office in organizing regional retreats, training and workshops for personnel as appropriate including agenda preparation, documentation, review of budget and authorization of expenses;
- Organize high-level events including invitees from embassies, governments, UN agencies, governmental/non-governmental organizations and other partners;
- Coordinate preparation of meetings with key partners/donors (logistics, talking points, background notes, presentations, etc.)
- Provide assistance to the Regional Director in managing and monitoring the utilization of the regional administrative budget, ensuring regular update and reporting are prepared and submitted to the Regional Director;
- Contribute to the engagement review process: quality assurance review for engagement submitted for approval to the Regional Office and facilitate their recommendations and approvals;
- Contribute to the annual budget process (consolidation of Africa Region budget, and preparation of the Regional Office budget submission)
- Verify invoices for the settlement of the Regional Office due payments.
- Provide administrative and logistical support to the Regional Director’s Advisors Unit based in the region as well as the Business Development and Oversight/Operations team in Copenhagen
- Liaise with Support Services Center/Integrated Practice Advice and Support for any support Africa Region Country offices may need from Support Services Center/Integrated Practice Advice and Support;
- Responsible for compilation of reports and administrative documentation as requested by the Regional Director;
3. Support to people and information management
- Facilitate and manage the ongoing network and exchange of information with internal partners and important business clients;
- Screen all incoming communications to Africa Region mail boxes, filter outgoing correspondence for supervisor’s signature, clearance and further action by other personnel; Adherence to appropriate protocol and correspondence guidelines by the office team when communicating with Government and other external partners;
- Development of effective systems and procedures to improve and streamline work and communication flow within the team, to meet high-paced job demands and business requirements;
- Contribute to the Africa Region gender parity initiative: support the implementation and monitoring of Gender Action Plans implementation status
- Act with the Regional Management and Oversight Advisor as the regional focal point for learning activities: coordinate regional Learning needs assessment, facilitate, and coordinate planning, nominations and logistics of training activities in Africa Region
- Act as the people focal point: including coordinating the annual people survey preparation, and action plan implementation
- Performs any other task as requested by the Regional Director.
- Secondary/high-school education required as minimum.
- First level university education (BA) in relevant field highly desirable. Relevant technical diploma (such as secretarial), or diploma or certification in a field related to business administration or public administration would be an additional asset.
- Min. 6 years of relevant work is required. Experience as an administrative assistant, customer support, commercial assistant or similar role would be an asset. Note that a higher educational level can be accepted in lieu of work experience, i.e. with a BA degree 2 years of relevant work experience would be required
- Knowledge of ERP software or accounting software an asset
- Knowledge of UNOPS financial regulations and rules is considered an added asset
- Knowledge of UNOPS management systems an asset
- Fluency in written and oral English and French required.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org