Reuters, the news and media division of Thomson Reuters, is the world’s largest international multimedia news provider reaching more than one billion people every day. Reuters provides trusted business, financial, national and international news to professionals via Refintiv’s Eikon desktops, the world's media organizations and directly to consumers at Reuters.com and Reuters TV.
An experienced newsroom leader with a strong record for delivering excellent news and enterprise coverage.
The Regional News Editor will be the principal news leader in the region, steering our efforts to cover breaking news with speed and accuracy, to land scoops and to produce deeper distinctive stories that meet the needs of all our customer groups. He/She will combine a demonstrated ability to run large teams and, where needed, to drive organizational change aimed at producing great journalism and creating opportunity for our journalists. He/She will also lead our daily efforts in bureaus and tell stories in a way that integrates text with video, pictures and graphics.
- Set direction for regional news coverage to ensure top quality journalism that meets customer needs. Implement new ways of storytelling and provide innovative thinking to deliver the story in the most effective way for clients.
- Effectively compete and win on the top stories in the region. Work with Financial and Media news strategy leads to develop a comprehensive set of standards and measures to assess performance
- Ensure our journalists adhere to the highest journalistic ethics as set out in the Trust Principles.
- Responsible for leading, motivating, and communicating with bureaus and reporting teams. Take personal responsibility for management and development of Bureau Chiefs in the region.
- Work with the Global Managing Editor, Newsroom, to discover and foster talent, differentiate performance and promote diversity.
- Help drive multimedia efforts and promote collaboration with journalists and editors across the region and the world
- Part of a team responsible for translating customer and reader needs into action for our editors and reporters. Represent Reuters to sales teams and customers and ensures that client feedback is acted on
- Represent Reuters and Thomson Reuters regularly at external events and at client meetings.
- Work with the Operations team to ensure region delivers on budget goals
- Significant experience in an editorial leadership role
- Outstanding journalistic ability – Must have an extensive track record of high performance reporting on spot and initiative stories to Reuters standards and principles. Excellent news judgment and in-depth knowledge of the news file.
- Leadership – Experience of leading a large team with the ability to create a high-performance culture by managing effectively, differentiating performance, developing talent, and building diverse teams. Can also lead and manage change.
- Innovative/Creative – Can implement new ways of storytelling and provide innovative thinking to deliver the story in the most effective way for clients. Must also demonstrate creativity and resourcefulness leading the day-to-day editorial operation.
- Strategic – Must be able to articulate and implement a wider strategic editorial plan for both daily coverage and longer-term coverage of stories in the region. Must be able to see the big picture whilst managing competing priorities and show decisiveness and superb judgement to achieve this.
- Customer Focus - Track record of working with clients and other areas of Thomson Reuters to make changes within the Reuters organization and meet current and future customer needs and requirements
- Collaboration - A role model to Bureau Chiefs, with a track record of developing effective working relationships with senior managers, general managers, other regional editors, business colleagues and HR/Finance.
- Experience working in a largescale global newsroom is a plus
- A global mindset, as demonstrated by factors such as foreign-language ability and experience living and working as a journalist in multiple countries, is a plus.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org