The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) seeks a Resident Senior Program Manager (SPM) to manage a forthcoming USAID-funded program to encourage and support deepening horizontal and vertical linkages among civic organizations and activists in Kyrgyzstan. Based in NDI's Bishkek office, s/he will contribute technical expertise to, and manage day-to-day implementation of, a multi-year civic engagement project. The hiring of this position is contingent on donor funding AND key personnel approval. Note language requirements in “qualifications” below.
The ideal candidate has progressively responsible experience 1) managing USAID-funded civil society development programming, 2) training and advising local partners on organizational development, advocacy and change management; and 3) written and oral language fluency in English AND either Russian or Kyrgyz.
The deadline for submitting applications is July 1, 2019. The anticipated start date will be October 1, 2019.
- Contribute to program design and manage day-to-day implementation of programming focused on advocacy and civic organizing at local and national levels
- In collaboration with the Resident Director (Chief of Party), manage in-country program staff structure and individual performance, evaluation, promotion/discipline
- Coordinate program partnership with international and local partners to ensure streamlined, effective programming
- Liaise regularly with USAID's Kyrgyzstan Mission to ensure compliance with operational and reporting requirements and achievement of programmatic goals
- In collaboration with the Resident Director (Chief of Party), provide technical expertise to in-country staff as well as local and international partners to advance programmatic goals
- Create and manage systems to ensure adherence to NDI Washington, D.C. policies and procedures, as well as to funder/donor regulations, ensuring the integrity of all financial transactions
- Report on program activities and political developments that may affect program outcomes to the Washington, D.C.-based staff on a regular basis
- In collaboration with the M&E/CLA Manager, facilitate regular monitoring and evaluation of NDI program activities and results; data collection, analysis and application; and integration of lessons learned over the life of the program; work with local partners to engage in continual reflection, learning, and adaptation of their own civic initiatives
- Manage in-country staff contributions toward the development, review and timely submission of program-related materials, including project workplans and regular reports that measure and evaluate program results
- Help local staff and program participants to deepen their understanding of the variety of tools and strategies that can be employed to build citizen movements and influence decision making. This should include employing both traditional advocacy methodologies, as well as innovative approaches that incorporate technology and leverage social and broadcast media
- Guide and motivate participants through a program that emphasizes process and seeks to build a collaborative approach to collective action
- Undergraduate degree in a field of study related to political science, international relations, public policy, international development or a related field preferred; Additional years of relevant work experience may be substituted for educational requirement on a one-for-one basis
- A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in citizen engagement, organizing and advocacy, particularly at the municipal/local level
- Strong practitioner command of effective tools and approaches for fostering citizen engagement and oversight, civic participation of traditionally marginalized groups and organizational capacity development of civil society groups
- Experience working in environments where concepts of collective action and responsive government are weak and trust of political processes is low
- Experience using public opinion research to guide program and messaging approaches
- Familiarity with adult education practices and incentives; ability to develop formal curricula and training materials
- Relevant, professional experience on the Eurasia region, with preference given to applicants with knowledge and experience of Kyrgyzstan and/or Central Asia
- Comparable relevant experience in other geographic regions will also be considered
- Relevant experience in managing multi-stakeholder processes and multi-national staff; demonstrated ability to develop solid working relationships with civil society organizations, local governments, and members of the donor/diplomatic community
- Experience with USAID-funded programming highly desirable
- Previous experience as a trainer, advisor and/or consultant able to help partners integrate and manage individual and organizational change
- Proven interpersonal and managerial skills and cultural sensitivity to manage large in-country teams
- Experience in creating and managing multi-faceted systems to maximize financial and programmatic integrity
- Ability and willingness to travel to regional locations that may be remote and difficult to reach
- Strong political analysis skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English AND either Russian or Kyrgyz languages strongly preferred
NDI welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment and NDI employees. NDI makes employment decisions based on organizational needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, military status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation, educational status, unemployment status, place of residence or business, source of income, or reproductive health decision making. Additionally, harassment or discrimination based on these characteristics will not be tolerated at NDI. To perform the essential functions of this position, reasonable accommodations are available to qualified individuals with disabilities and qualified individuals who have limitations due to pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or medical related condition.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org