The Director of Development will proactively lead the development and the execution of a fundraising strategy to allow WAW to accomplish its mission and programmatic vision. We are seeking a seasoned, creative, and energetic fundraising professional to help build and support an engaged team and lead the organization’s efforts to increase, strengthen, and diversify our fundraising in all areas: grant writing and institutional donors, major and individual donors, online campaigns, special events, as well as earned revenue possibilities. The Director of Development will work closely on a team with the Executive Director, Deputy Director, Board of Directors, Development Team and other WAW staff to achieve the organization’s vision.
The Director of Development will join WAW’s Development team in a full-time capacity and must be based in New York City. The position will have a three-month probationary period and yearly evaluations, which will determine this role’s advancement in the organization.
Director of Development Responsibilities:
- Global fundraising leadership and expertise: Lead the execution and diversification of a sustainable growing organizational budget (currently at $8.2 million), through government (city/state/federal government/international institutions) contracts; North American and European foundation grants; corporate giving and partnership development in the Middle East, South Asia, Europe, and North America; the development of a gl0bal major donor program; benefit event fundraising; individual giving; and board and advisory board development and cultivation.
- Team supervision: Manage the development staff, and provide timely feedback, assign tasks, pay close attention to deadlines, and address shortcomings and challenges.
- Proactive fundraising plan development: Work in close partnership with staff and the Board of Directors to develop and execute an ambitious 3- to 5-year fundraising plan, which supports the organizational vision and will secure its long-term sustainability.
- Board recruitment and development: Help identify, recruit, and motivate leaders to serve on the Board and Advisory Board, and support participants to make the best use of their gifts, talents, and networks.
- Fundraising events strategy lead: Develop and lead an ambitious fundraising strategy for benefit events, working closely with the staff team, volunteer leadership, and host/benefit committee members to execute.
- Major donor cultivation: Work closely with and create opportunities for the Executive Director to engage and cultivate relationships with key supporters, including philanthropists, institutional funders, board members, major donors, leading volunteers, and city and community leaders to increase support for WAW and its visibility.
- Diversify and expand organizational income sources: Identify and meet with new prospective donors (domestically and internationally) to diversify and expand income sources for WAW.
- Lead annual appeals: Lead annual appeals, working closely with staff to develop visually and emotionally compelling asks.
- Development department infrastructure: Build and strengthen fund development infrastructure and systems, including tools, templates, and Customer Relations Management (CRM) systems and software.
- External communications with donors and supporters: Work closely with Communications team to create visually and emotionally compelling e-content and print content for WAW supporters and followers.
As a prerequisite, the successful candidate must believe in the core values of WAW and be driven by its mission. The candidate should demonstrate a passion for breaking new ground to lead social change. Beyond that, we are seeking a seasoned candidate with proven experience in scaling a multi-site organization and a demonstrated ability to lead an ambitious and growth-oriented fundraising strategy.
- A minimum of 5 to 7 years of progressively responsible development experience, with 3+ years in management roles.
- Undergraduate degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- A proven track record of raising funds for organizations.
- Proven ability to develop and follow a vision and strategic plan.
- High level of professionalism and ability to articulate vision, mission and strategy, and to represent the organization to grantors and donors as a confident, informed, and inspiring leader.
- Superior relationship-building, speaking, and writing skills.
- Positive and successful staff leadership and successful management experience.
- Excellent team builder and team player.
- Understanding of online and campaign fundraising.
- Experience working with program and finance teams, especially in international contexts.
- Organized and good follow through–follow-ups are critical in fundraising and seizing every funding opportunity.
- Must be based in New York City, and has the ability to travel domestically and internationally, as needed.
- A demonstrated commitment to women’s advocacy and human rights on an international scale.
- Experience with grants at all three levels of the U.S. government.
$90,000-$100,000 commensurate to experience. WAW offers an excellent benefit compensation package, including fully paid medical insurance, paid vacation, holidays and sick time, and a retirement savings plan.
Please email your application (cover letter, resume, 1 annual fundraising strategy sample, 1 major donor plan sample, 1 grant writing sample). Please type Development Director – [your last name] in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org