The ICRC Delegation in New York City plays a key role in humanitarian diplomacy. ICRC is a Permanent Observer of the United Nations. Key international policies that originate at the UN in New York can affect the ICRC’s field operations and development of the law. Therefore, ICRC NYC engages externally in humanitarian diplomacy on the operational concerns of the ICRC’s field delegations and on priority humanitarian themes. This requires close collaboration with internal colleagues throughout the ICRC, at headquarters (e.g., Operations and Policy divisions) and in the field delegations. ICRC NYC has access to decision-makers in: 1) the UN - e.g. Office of the Coordinator for Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), the Department of Political Affairs and Peacebuilding (DPPA), the Executive Office of the Secretary General (EOSG) and 2) all States through Permanent Missions. NYC team members must be fast-thinkers, diplomatically-skilled, curious and flexible, adapting to the fast-paced and ever-changing dynamics at UNHQ and Permanent Missions. Good political instincts and the ability to capitalize on opportunities are indispensable.
- Set strategic orientation and objectives in cooperation with Head of Communications and Management. Support Head of Communications in carrying out public diplomacy influencing and strategies.
- Contribute to analysis of political, multilateral diplomacy, and humanitarian developments. In consultation with Head of Communications and management, contribute to crafting key messages and positions.
- Act as Spokesperson. Be a key source of information on key priorities issues for UN Press Corps and other media. Represent ICRC to various audiences.
- Pitch story ideas, content and interviews. Develop relationships with reporters and producers.
- Conduct media mapping and analysis of the media landscape.
- Develop networks with journalists, diplomats, digital managers, NGOs and other contacts relevant to humanitarian diplomacy.
MAIN TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Partner with Head of Communications and relevant parties to ensure digital strategy and execution complements and fortifies overarching communications and policy strategy.
- Take stock of policy objectives and priorities and evaluate needs, resources, and current digital landscape to develop holistic plans for campaigns or content that meet objectives through digital tools.
- Develop external relationships with digital experts throughout the UN system, UN Missions, and external organizations, including the private sector, in order to build capacity for innovation and influence relevant parties for policy delivery. Represent digital team at external events.
- Contribute to analytics, evaluation, and making recommendations for improvement of digital campaigns and approach.
- Contribute content for digital channels through editing, writing, brand management, curation, and art direction.
- Supervise submission of creative content and direct production from submission to launch.
- Ability to identify digital opportunities according to diplomatic objectives and create corresponding multi-media digital content a plus.
Management and Oversight
- Train and coach delegation staff and others on media and digital
- Manage relevant public diplomacy events
- Manage external relations with relevant partners
- Manage budget of events and publications
- Good grasp of political environments and international relations
- At least 5 years-experience in media relations, journalism, international relations, or press office
- Solid understanding of and experience in public affairs or advocacy
- Solid understanding of UN system and multilateral diplomacy a plus
- Command of media relations with strong reporter relationships and proven track record of placing media stories
- Experience creating and executing social media campaigns
- Ethical conduct
Applications should be submitted to Dolorosa ArrummBrungs no later July 8, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest in the ICRC. Due to the number of applications we receive, only those candidates for further consideration will be contacted.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org