The Bureau of Administration’s Office of Global Information Services, Office of Information Programs and Services (A/GIS/IPS) and (A/GIS) needs Government Information Specialists to assist in the processing of Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and Privacy Act (PA) requests that the subject of appeals and/or litigation involving the Department.
- Provide expert level advice and guidance on implementing statutory and policy directives in favor of disclosure while protecting, under one or more of the nine FOIA exemptions and/or Privacy Act exemptions, information the release of which could cause foreseeable harm to national security or other interests or violate statutory requirements.
- Apply substantive expertise in foreign policy, intelligence, and national security issues, as well as knowledge of the functioning and organization of the Department of State and its overseas posts and missions in the application of the FOIA, Privacy Act, current Executive Orders, and other information programs.
- Function as part of a senior-level team to respond to high priority, time-sensitive FOIA requests, and FOIA Litigation.
- Effectively communicate with senior Department personnel and interagency points of contact and sensitive FOIA and litigation.
- Collaborate with other staff members, including division chiefs, branch chiefs, team leaders, analysts, and Department contacts to help ensure the overall FOIA program effort promotes the best interests of IPS and the Department.
No supervisory responsibilities are noted.
Education and/or Experience:
- At a GS15 level, a bachelor’s degree in the area of Political Science, Foreign Affairs, International Affairs/Relations, History, Law or related field of study and/or a Juris Doctor degree is required.
- With seven (7) years or more experience working in and/or demonstrated expertise in foreign affairs or national security highly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Applicant must possess demonstrated knowledge of E.O. 13526, the FOIA, the Privacy Act, or other information access programs.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
SECRET Level Required
- Must have a current US Government SECRET Personnel Security Clearance or be able to successfully complete a U.S. government administered Investigation.
- Must also be able to maintain a US Government SECRET clearance.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that an employee must meet to perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee must be able to stand; walk; sit; use hands and/or fingers to handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; occasionally lift and or move up to 25 pounds; operate office equipment, reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop; kneel; talk and hear.
In performance of this task order, occasional travel to other location may be required. Travel is receipt reimbursable and in accordance with the Joint Travel Regulations.
The position’s responsibilities are performed in a typical office environment.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org