Relief International (RI) is a leading non-profit organisation working across 17 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialise in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises, and chronic poverty.
The Communications Officer plays an exciting new role within the Development and Communications Department, working as part of the team to develop and strengthen RI’s messaging and brand in order to grow RI’s visibility and support private-sector fundraising goals in Europe and globally. You will join a growing team based in Washington DC; Denver, Colorado; and London.
Based out of our small, vibrant central London office in Farringdon, you will have the opportunity to travel to RI’s program sites. You’ll join a team of around ten colleagues who work across disciplines such as Programme Development, Strategy and Risk, Compliance, Finance, HR and Development & Communications. RI’s Country and Project Directors also visit the London office frequently, allowing staff to hear directly from the field and presenting opportunities to engage with donors and the press.
Your role will be to build productive relationships with journalists in London and other key European cities (Paris, Brussels) and initiate opportunities for media coverage. Write press releases and media alerts that engage philanthropists, the press, thought leaders, and the general public. Communicate RI’s complex relief and development programming activities and outcomes via engaging, accessible content for a variety of audiences. Support implementation of a global social media strategy. This may involve some travel to the field to gather content.
To be successful in the role you will bring proven experience of working in digital communications for a nonprofit, media outlet, marketing or ad agency, preferably in an international development context. Your strong IT skills will be essential and you will bring experience of Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat), and Content Management Systems, together with basic design and HTML skills.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Build productive relationships with journalists in London and other key European cities (Paris, Brussels) and initiate opportunities for media coverage.
- Write press releases and media alerts that engage philanthropists, the press, thought leaders, and the general public.
- Distill RI’s complex relief and development programming activities and outcomes into engaging, accessible content for a variety of audiences. This may involve some travel to the field to gather content.
- Support the Senior Communications Officer to develop multi-channel marketing campaigns to drive awareness of RI’s mission and audience growth.
- Support the Senior Communications Officer to devise and implement the organization’s global social media strategy. Manage content on institutional social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram) with guidance from the Senior Communications Officer.
- Support team members in devising and executing email strategies that effectively engage constituents.
- Support content maintenance on our new website, together with other members of the team.
- Support the measurement and performance reporting of all digital marketing initiatives, with a focus on audience engagement, conversions and site traffic. Utilize data insights to continuously refine campaign and email marketing tactics and define best practices.
Experience & skills
- BA in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, Journalism, International Relations or related field.
- Previous experience of digital communications experience working for a nonprofit, media outlet, marketing or ad agency preferably in an international development context.
- Familiar with: Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat), Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel) and Content Management Systems. Basic design and HTML skills strongly preferred.
- Familiar with SEO best practices and writing SEO-optimised content.
- Experience with Google Analytics a plus.
- Familiar with online fundraising, email marketing and donation platforms. CRM experience a plus.
- Keen interest in and knowledge of international relief and development or related fields; prior experience working at an international organization strongly preferred.
- A self-starter with demonstrated capacity for effective teamwork.
- Excellent networker, preferably with existing London-based media contacts.
- Excellent organizational abilities with strong skill managing multiple projects.
- Fast, flexible thinker who is able to shift gears on short notice.
- Willingness to travel overseas to countries where RI has offices and operations.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org