Communications Officer. New York. Posting Date: 07/25/2019. Deadline: 08/14/2019
The Office of Communications plays a central role in the work of Open Society Foundations by coordinating and strengthening the public presence of the global network and by helping to advance relevant issues. Communications works to raise Open Society Foundations' public profile by promoting the network's many noteworthy achievements. The department employs media outreach, publications, and the web to assist dozens of Open Society foundations and programs in their communications efforts.Job Profile
We're seeking a Communications Officer to develop and disseminate an overall communications strategy for the Global Drug Policy Program, which promotes drug policies rooted in human rights, sustainable development, social justice, and public health. This role also works in support of other programs, including the International Migration Initiative and the Scholarships program, and other areas of work on an as needed basis.
This position reports to the Senior Editorial Advisor in the Office of Communications and is based in New York. Essential duties and responsibilities include the following: Strategy:
- Develop and disseminate an overall communications strategy for the Global Drug Policy Program as well as individual issue strategies and key messages for advancing our work in prioritized areas. This plan should outline goals, campaigns and projects plus include defined audiences and success criteria, outreach plan, an editorial calendar for blogs/reports/multimedia pieces, story ideas/pitches both for print and social media
- Successfully pitch stories in high profile media and promote content in social media
- Cultivate relationships with relevant journalists and editorial partners
- Identify and create media opportunities to promote Open Society, its work, priorities and grantees
- Draft press releases, media advisories, Op-Eds, digital posts and other content as assigned
- Organize press conferences and other events, internal and external
- Run organizational Twitter account or Facebook page around an issue area. Also produce and curate effective content around this issue and its grantees via our website
- Manage the production and deployment of reports (digital and print) and other products for an Open Society issue and see it through from beginning to end - taking responsibility for media promotion
- Co-develop and conduct Communications trainings for program staff and grantees
- May provide coaching to senior leaders on media engagement
- 8 -10 years of progressively responsible experience in a communications role, preferably related to global public health and human rights
- Comprehensive, specialized knowledge in communications and media including knowledge of ongoing current controversies/issues and leading figures/thinking
- Strong writing and editing skills in English
- Demonstrated practical experience in press outreach and digital communications; strong understanding of social media
- Experience successfully pitching stories in high profile media
- Substantial knowledge of organizational and project management
- Ability to build and maintain strong, trusting internal relationships within team and across programs, departmental units, and levels
- Ability to manage competing interests, complex political and cultural factors, and tensions between long- and short-term goals
Competitive rates of pay apply.
We are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues across the Open Society Foundations. We welcome applications from people of all cultures, backgrounds, and experiences, and are committed to providing reasonable adjustments so that colleagues with disabilities are able to fulfill the essential functions of the job.