Human Rights Watch (“HRW”) is seeking an Associate to provide administrative assistance to the Children’s Rights Division (“CRD”) in California. CRD focuses on issues affecting children around the world including child labor, armed conflict, education, migration, and juvenile justice. The position reports to the Senior Advocate of the Children’s Rights Division in Los Angeles and focuses on youth justice reform in California.
1. Provide administrative support to Senior Advocate such as scheduling, making travel arrangements, assisting with expense reports, preparing for and taking minutes at meetings, creating and maintaining extensive filing and archiving systems, word processing, filing, faxing, answering phones, processing incoming mail, and responding to requests for information;
2. Maintain strong communication between HRW offices, external partners, prisoners, and families of incarcerated individuals;
3. Liaise with attorneys and advocates to update information about bills, cases, and other initiatives;
4. Proofread, format, edit, and distribute materials such as newsletters, news releases, reports, tables, charts, briefing papers, op eds, publications, and web content;
5. Draft communications, including simple letters and emails;
6. Assist with desk and phone research, and electronic clippings;
7. Coordinate meetings, roundtables, prison workshops, stakeholder meetings, and special events with visitors, NGOs, and government officials;
8. Support advocacy work by scheduling meetings, managing subscriptions, and building and maintaining contact databases;
9. Recruit, supervise, and mentor interns;
10. Record and track departmental finances; and
11. Carry out other duties as required.
Education: A bachelor’s degree in human rights, international relations, social science, or a related field is preferred.
Experience: A minimum of one year of relevant work experience is required. We value many different types of previous experience and take a broad view on what experience is relevant, so please include all previous paid employment in your application.
Individuals who have personal experience with the justice system, formerly incarcerated individuals, and survivors are highly encouraged to apply.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
1. Prior office/administration experience, unflagging attention to detail, commitment to accuracy, flexibility, and strong organizational skills are required.
2. Proficiency in computer packages including MS Office applications, especially Excel, is required.
3. Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required; fluency in other languages (particularly Spanish) is highly desirable.
4. Strong interest in criminal justice reform and international human rights and a commitment to racial, social, and restorative justice is required.
5. Strong interpersonal skills are required.
6. Ability to work well under pressure while juggling multiple tasks simultaneously is required.
7. Ability to make sound decisions consistent with functions is required.
8. Ability to prioritize with minimal supervision and work independently as well as function as a member of a team is required.
Other: Please note that occasional evening work will be required for special events.
Salary and Benefits: Salary range starts at $47,436. Human Rights Watch offers comprehensive employer-paid benefits, including medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, an outstanding retirement savings plan and twenty (20) days of vacation per year.
Please apply immediately or by August 16, 2019 by visiting our online job portal at https://www.hrw.org/careers and attaching a letter of interest, resume or CV, a brief writing sample (unedited by others), and contact information for three references, preferably as PDF files. No calls or email inquiries, please. Only complete applications will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Due to the large response, application submissions via email will not be accepted and inquiries regarding the status of applications will go unanswered.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org