Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Functions:
- Plans, facilitates and consolidates evidence-based Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) analysis in support of a shared understanding by the UN Country Team (UNCT) of sustainable development trends, challenges and opportunities in programme countries;
- Provides substantive advice on innovative economic and SDG policies to Resident Coordinators (RC) and UNCTs, as well as to national counterparts in government and other relevant partners;
- Coordinates the development by the UNCT of a new generation of SDG programmes with a strong investment orientation and focus on acceleration towards achieving the SDGs;
- Plans and directs SDG knowledge generation and management;
Plans, facilitates and consolidates evidence-based SDG analysis in support of a shared understanding by the UNCT of sustainable development trends, challenges and opportunities in programme countries:
- Researches, analyzes, consolidates and presents SDG-related data, as well as information on emerging best practices in sustainable development, paying special attention to gender and capacity development, and proposes policy options to RCs/UNCTs;
- Identifies and analyzes issues that impact multiple SDGs and their targets and proposes ‘accelerator interventions' that can help unlock and accelerate progress towards sustainable development across multiple areas;
- Assesses and highlights sustainable development trade-offs and risk factors, as well as early-warning indicators that may undermine the achievement of SDG targets and impact the UN’s role and programme in the country and suggests appropriate measures to address them;
- Collects and analyzes data on UN country level operations in support of the implementation of the 2030 Agenda, identifies gaps and proposes follow-up actions;
- Researches, develops and presents policy papers, guidance notes and other knowledge based-tools and directs discussion in country-level forums to help influence and advance policy dialogue on achieving the SDGs;
- Coordinates the preparation of UN flagship reports, including the analysis of data and ensures the provision of evidence to build the case for policies and interventions on SDGs;
- Monitors regional and global economic trends and issues, analyzes their implications for the realization of the SDGs at the country level and recommends additional issues for consideration.
Provides substantive advice on innovative economic and SDG policies to RCs and UNCTs, as well as to national counterparts in government and other relevant partners:
- Guides substantive support to the RC/UNCT on SDG-related issues, particularly on policies to accelerate the achievement of the SDGs, including through Mainstreaming, Acceleration and Policy Support (MAPS) and similar processes, and evaluates and highlights potential trade-offs between SDGs;
- Identifies issues and proposes recommendations for the UNCT on how UN country-level operations can be optimized and better respond to sustainable development needs and emerging trends in country;
- Elicits, evaluates and consolidates policy options proposed by UNCT members, ensuring an integrated approach to the UN’s policy advice to national counterparts in government and other external partners;
- Plans and directs the work of the in-country UN Joint Policy Team (or equivalent) and drives cross-pillar nexus approaches in country to policy, analysis and assessment.
Coordinates the development by the UNCT of new generation of SDG programmes with a strong investment orientation and focus on acceleration towards achieving the SDGs:
- Guides the development and implementation of the UN Development Framework (UNDAF) to ensure that the UN’s country-level operational activities effectively support the implementation of the 2030 Agenda in country;
- Provides substantive support to programme formulation and revision throughout the UNDAF cycle, based on sound SDG analysis;
- Contributes to the UN joint programming process to strengthen the formulation of a new generation of UN joint programmes that are aligned with the SDGs, oriented towards investment, and have impact at the national level;
- Assists UNDAF result groups in the implementation of joint workplans to ensure SDG-relevant and SDG-responsive UN operational activities for development;
- Proposes recommendations to enhance UN support to governmental and multi-stakeholder processes on SDG policy development and capacity development.
Plans and directs SDG knowledge generation and management:
- Plans, facilitates and contributes to local, regional and global communities of practice and knowledge networks and promotes collaboration, peer support, innovation good practices, lessons learned, needs, and opportunities in the area of sustainable development;
- Researches, analyzes and presents best practices and lessons learned from implementation of UNCT projects and programmes, with a view to advising the RC and UNCT on actions to strengthen the policy orientation of the UN;
- Monitors and analyzes best practices and successful models implemented by the UN in country and suggests options for developing these into bankable national SDG investment policies and programmes;
- Provides advice on global/corporate guidelines, tools and other materials related to sustainable development policy.
Ability to apply sustainable development theories, concepts and approaches. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic resources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Planning and Organizing:
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Adept with complex Teamwork:
Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or Higher in Economics, Sustainable Development, Public Policy, Education or related area.
- A minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible experience in sustainable development policy, economic analysis or project/programme management in the context of development cooperation or related area is required.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org